88 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Down Under

brauluver

Retro Newbie
Hey guys, I've been lurking awhile and soaking up the info.
Finally got something to show and tell.
I've been looking for a quality Cro Mo MTB frame with horizontal Drop out to build a S/S whip for awhile.Pretty hard to find a full Cro Mo, good one in these parts.
Came across an 88 specialized Rockhopper Comp on local gumtree and snagged it for $50 Au.It's a little scuffed and needs a good strip and clean but works fine.Took it out for a 26k run on some paths and trails today and it was awesome.
I will leave it in current guise and ride it for awhile now as it's so cool and comfy to ride.All deore running gear from the day too.

100_0230.jpg

100_0233.jpg

100_0234.jpg

100_0232.jpg

Here's the money shot
100_0231.jpg

Cheers dave

Rockhopper

Hi mate
Lovely find and what a bargain price. I would keep it as it is with a bit of patina. Yours looks all original with the biopace and even the bottle cage.
These frames ride great as I have a 88 Stumpy still in its original guise and I love it the way it is.

Jamie
(exiled Aussie)

Jamie's right, leave as is !

I've a 88-89 Hardrock that rides great, Spesh knew what they were doing during this period :cool:

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards.

As for the ride, yeah I couldn't help thinking that when I took it for a ride.21 year old bike and it was quite a refined ride, gotta love Cro Mo.

Perhaps it's a down under thing ... :LOL:

That's the era that got me interested in all this mtb stuff :cool:

That there is the first mountain bike I ever owned (and rode). I wish I could find one in the states in similar condition. Looks great, keep AS-IS.

Rich.

Back