Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:30 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Paint matt silver and use blue bolts ? i.e. reverse the colours of the levers sat next to them ?

WD :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:25 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Here are the clamps after sanding them down with 400 type sandpaper.
I think Rich is right. Any polished or silver clamp would look out of place when everything else is turquoise.
So i will take the risk of destroying them in the ano bath despite the invested time after the upcoming polishing session.
If they really fall apart or look like the skin of my beloved grandmother i guess i will be on the lookout for some Gorrila Billet shifter perches. If i have to go that route it means that this build would most likely be finished sometime around next year instead of this summer. But hey time has no meaning here in Retroland, right? :D

Last edited by juice on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:04 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Now the clamps are polished as good as i can do with my own hands.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:55 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Time for a little update.
Since it's the same price for anodising only the clamps or a whole pile of things i looked through all my boxes for things that need to change their color.

The Control Stix bar ends were on the bike when i got it in 1992. Had them in my sale thread the last 4 years. Now that they will be turquoise they will stay for the rest of either their or my lifetime. :)

The seat post shim was something that bothered me lookwise since i attached it. So it will make me happy when this area of the bike will finally look like it should look and not like the mess it was.

I'm not sure if i will attach the Alutech chain guard. I've already such a thingy on my Muirwoods and while it may be not the beautifullest thing on earth it is more than useful. Will decide on that topic when it is back with the right shade of blue. Right now it is way too dark.

The pedal cages don't really need to be fresh anodised. They are in that pile to justify the price just like that old Ringlé H2O which will be anodised in 3DV. Even if the color sample at the bottom is simple purple when color matched the H2O will be 3DV. I read that whole funny discussion on here a while back and that fact still makes me smile. This bottle cage will end up either on my Wheeler or on my Raleigh race bike.

That's it for now. More updates hopefully before i'm too old to ride. 8)

Last edited by juice on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:31 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Loving this thread loads still and that turquoise just looks scrumptious enough to eat 8) ..

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:26 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

A little update. The last batch of stuff just returned from anodising.
The clamps are not really looking like i expected them to. They are darker than the rest but i guess i was lucky that they could be anodised at all since they are obviously cast aluminium. The other stuff looks nice though in my opinion.
But overall i'm not too happy right now since the Ringlé Mojo cable hanger i sent them as a color example wasn't returned to me.
Hopefully the anodiser "finds" what belongs to me... :x
Anyway here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Looking sweet as !! but i can only see those clamps turning out darker due to them being a softer material and absorbing more of the colour during the anodising process and as for that noodle i'd pester them every day until they find it ;) ..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:08 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

A little update:
Today i got rid of the old and half destroyed decals. After that i cleaned the frame as good as i could and and attached the new decals.
I'm very pleased by the result keeping in mind that i did this absolute free by hand without any measurments or masking tape.
It was only one and only one try.
The good weather helped i guess.

Dirty frame with old decals:

Clean frame:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:13 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Been going through my stuff only to find that i'm missing about 30cm white brake cable outer. I've used more of it than i should have used on my Raleigh Scorpio. :facepalm:
By now everybody should know that i'm in no rush with my Marin so it will take another week or another year to finish this. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

just 1 word from me : Beautiful !!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next