Proflex 962

BoingeyJon

Retro Newbie
I've got a totally unused Proflex 962 frame hanging in my office window (still got the little caps on the brake bosses!).

Way back in the mists of time I was going to build it up as a hack bike after I got my new 855. But the years came and went and I somehow never found the time or money. After a few years the hack bike project was transfered to the battered 855 frame after it got replaced by a Santa Cruz Heckler. But instead the 855 got gradually robbed of bits instead of being built up and the 962 slumbered in a box. Now the Heckler has finally become my hack bike after being replaced as my main bike by my new Blur. But what should I do with the Proflexes? I'd love to have the time and money to build up the 962 as a proper period piece (with suitable bits from around 1992 - rather than necessarily the original spec). But to be honest I rarely have time to ride the bikes I've got, let alone sourcing bits and building up a new bike (and after buying the Blur I can't really afford to spend any more money on bikes for a while!). To be honest I quite like it just as a window ornament - but is that a waste? And what about the 855? Is it worth trying to restore it or should I just take it down the tip? I assume that neither frame has any real value.

Anybody got any ideas of what I should do with them?

[/img]

Attachments

• 962.jpg
    962.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,857
not sure about monetary worth on the frames but to some folks on here they would be well looked after and more importantly built and ridden- why not put out a- tell me why you should have it and what will you do with it post and watch someone make the bike a rider.

similar thing happened to me recently, got a crackin' univega frame for postage that I am 85% finished building- it will be well riden and if it ever needs to leave my happy home, it will be a karma transaction- passing on the love- do you feel like sharing the love?

Just don't take them to the tip - whatever you do. Offer them up for free here if worst comes to the worst - somebody will collect from you (save you the trip to the tip :LOL: ). I'd be interested in the 855 even if as spare parts for mine :D

That 962 is lovely!!!!! Welcome.

If you dont want it give me first dibs please, I am slowly statring to grow my Proflex collection and this would be a perfect addition!

There are a few proflex experts on here, I suggest you start by getting some pics of the 855 on here pronto! ;)

Tony....

As already sid that 962 is stunning!!!

Don't take the 855 to the tip, if you don't want to rebuild it there a plenty of people on here that will, i've had my 852 since 95 n i still prefer it to my Xizang they just ride so well. If you want to get rid of either i'll happily take them needing a few new projects to keep me busy!

Thanks for the comments. Think I'll dig the 855 out of the shed and let it go to a new home. Its no use to me and if it can give somebody else some pleasure then that'll be great. I'll see what else I can dig out, although most things have been well used (I have actually entertained the idea of building up an entire broken bike with the crap from my shed! I think I've broken pretty much every part of a bike over the years from the usual buckled wheels to wrapping a set of Pace RC35s round a rock and snapping the bottom bracket shell clean off a Proflex 750 frame!).

As for the 962 frame, this might upset people, but I think I'll leave it hanging in my office for now. I actually quite like it as it is - a daily reminder of my early years of mountain biking. After giving it some thought I'm not sure I see much point in building it up as a bike. If it was built up it would have to be ridden - and that means properly ridden - offroad and hard. Although it was cutting edge back in its day, suspension technology has moved on so far since then it would be at best laughable and at worst dangerous to ride now. Compared with my modern bikes I think the novelty would quickly wear off. It would either end up thrashed or left to rot in the back of the shed, which would be a pity after I've kept it mint for so long. So for the time being I think I'll continue to commit sacrilege and leave it hanging in my window.

Personally I'd build it but not ride it too much or at all. You seem to like your bikes so a wee winter project of hunting for bits and building is half of what this site is about. There are quite a few 'garage queens' built for ornamant purposes. Start a build list and find out whats out there, its not as expensive as you might think. Worst comes to worst you would loose very little ££ if you had to sell the parts again.

This is the old Proflex 855 frame - anybody got any idea how much I should ask for it? Full details and a few other bits in the 'how much is my xyz worth' thread in the mtb chat section.

Attachments

• 855.jpg
    855.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,679
That looks in good nic to me...

Pop it in retro chat/xyz worth thread...

As for the 962, thats amazing... Build it!!

Back