Merlin XLM - now with RC30s!

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Ok, after complaining I couldn't find any RC30s I got some, have fitted a new steerer (sod Pace and their £30, the right size tube seems fine) and here it is.

Steerer of course needs cutting and brake cable adjusting but could not resist a quick pic! The orange is not right (especially with the blue hubs) but actually doesn't look too bad so may stay with it at present. It was suggested that they are stainless steel and I could strip them back and polish them which sounds ace but from my quick investigation they may be more basic steel.

Just noticed that the forks match the kettle quite nicely too!

Attachments

• Merlin RC30s.JPG
    Merlin RC30s.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,800
RC30 =Renoylds 531 @ that time?

Lovely bike there. Orange is pretty characterful :)

I've got some RC30s like that (ie. with a welded in dropout), indicative of early era forks (so pretty short legs), and they're made of 531.

The rumours of Stainless Steel legs probably relate to the next generation that have aluminium dropouts (like the RC35 sus forks), and were ?Nickle Plated -whatever the shiny brushed faux stainless finish was mine eventually went rusty!!!

There was talk of titanium legged versions but I think they proved to be impractical...anybody know different?

Ti legged RC30's were a bit whippy and down right startling on braking in the wet! :shock:

Rumours of MMC legged too. Merlin did the Ti legs as a return favour to Pace for making crowns for the rear ends of the Merlin Suspension frames. Would be good on a show bike. Not in the real world ;)

Looking nice... I'd still change the colour of the legs though!

And what is it with seatposts?! Is everyone on this forum 8' tall?! :LOL:

I think that looks pretty damn good.

I had an eye on those forks for my Dave Lloyd build but the colour put me off, and my wife would go nuts :LOL: I'm happy with the RC35's for the moment although if anyone knows of some more RC30 legs (or USE forks) I could be tempted.

Ed, don't suppose you fancy flogging me the steerer tube that came off those so I can go ahead?

That frame looks soooo sweet Ed, couldn't see why you wanted rigid paces on instead first but now I can they really suit the bike.

Thanks all for kind comments, looking as if orange forks are a winner (I was surprised that it looked good when fitted as was very unconvinced when they were in my hand).

Just got to cut the steerer, adjust the front brake and then I'm off!

I'm surprised! That looks good!!

Nice bike. Like the duo too. :D

Long seatposts look cool too ;)

Back