im new and possibly mad,, dyna-tec crisis

stubb

Retro Guru
hi , new to the forum but not bikes, just run into difficult times financially so i just waved goodbye to my 07 marin full sus to help some bills get sorted,

way back when i had a raleigh dyna-tec dx in white with the straight blade forks that i changed out to some suspension , i loved my bike the white colour always did it for me and with a ton of x-lite stuff in ano blue it looked the part and weighed nothing,

ride wise it was always fast and precise,

well that bike got sold time ago and the bb got wrecked and it slipped away, when i had it my riding buddy had the same bike only it was a year earlier model and in awful yellow..you can see where this is going,

turned out i dont want to count how many years later it was in his shed still dirty form one of our last rides together, he stopped back then i went onto a ton of bikes between then and now

well after some foolish talk and the fact id sold my marin a bit of cash and the yellow beast is in my kitchen , even with my set of original manitou forks,

after a quick wash down im wondering what ive let myself in for but i want to restore this one and add a few choice but original in the time line parts like cooks cranks ringle sqewers ect, hopin some people have a few bits laying about , x-lite seat posts you know the score,

anyway hi to all here,s a pic and i guess a thread starter on this resto,

cheers stubb

Attachments

• dyna-tec pt1.JPG
    dyna-tec pt1.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,513
First things first - You do realise there's a handle missing off that cupboard door don't you :shock: Priorities puleez :!:

Nice frame and welcome BTW :LOL:

ha ha ,, i soo thought i shouldnt post that pic due to that reason , my only excuse is i have two kids one 4 and one 13 not a good combo, cheers for the welcome

stubb":q4zxq1yn said:
ha ha ,, i soo thought i shouldnt post that pic due to that reason , my only excuse is i have two kids one 4 and one 13 not a good combo, cheers for the welcome

oh it gets so much better when you have 4 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

seat post bolt is the first issue to deal with , all the bolts are currently getting regular spraying with wd40 to see if it will soak in a bit, but at the moment they are stuck fast and almost snapping my allen keys, not a good start and i hope this frame doesnt go the same way my white one did when they ripped the threads out of the bb servicing it,

small update,

this is in pretty poor state as i have found so far,

got the seat clamp bolt out but the post is still not moving so even more wd40 going on,

crank arms and pedals are the same , to be honest im not too fussed on the pedals as long as the cranks come off so i can get a new set on there and run my own pedals anyway,

the manitou forks are still only half coming apart , the screws in the bottom of the legs are staying put, one is loose the other wont move, to make it worse you have to use the longest allen key ever and it just twists .

looks like im going to be replacing cranks, rear or both mechs, new brakes and rear cassete and chain, im also on the look out for a grey flite saddle , x-lite seat post and a new lighter stem,

longer term id like a hope and mavic sup wheel set but time will tell,

will she give in to my patience or will it run out and i break something,

Try plusgas rather than WD40 - 'tis better

With the seatpost, try heating the frame up with a hair dryer to make it expand a bit - make sure you've got the WD40 out first, you wouldn't want to start a fire. If that fails try the appliance of science, tapping round the frame and seat post (don't try hammering the post in though) this might break the corrosion away. Percussive maintenance loosens many a seized nut/bolt/screw etc. Another optios is to get the cranks off, bottom bracket out and fill the frame from the inside with plusgas to penetrate from both ends (snigger). You can also tip a can of coke inside the frame, it's worked for lots of people!

As for the pedals, soak in Plusgas and use a bar on the end of your pedal spanner, brute force and ignorance are your friends, remember to turn the right way tough!

Replacing the mechs? Take them off, give them a damned good clean and re-lube, does the trick more often than not.

Keep at it, it'll get there.

next door stuck his head over the fence as you do when someone else is doing manual labour,, quick chat and the frame was upsidown in his big vice, seat post out, sweet,

the mechs do look like just a clean will do , i did want to update a bit but as its a deore dx and they are original deore maybe i should keep them on , definately going to keep the xt thumbies,

pedals still say no and as for the allen bolt in the bottom of the forks i have no idea apart from filling them with some thin oil and hoping it soaks in a bit,

ill get more pics up later,

cheers for all the help so far here and from pm,s

Back