Mountain Goat WhiskeyTown Racer

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Bought this last month as a frame and a few bits and have got it running this week, so here are a few sneeky progress pics. I was worried that it was too small for me but having got wheels on it and taken a quick blast around the block it turns out to be just about spot on.
It was one of three Shockwaves Cycles of Nottingham team bikes BITD and the paint was pretty poor. Instead or repainting it all though I got away with painting just the rear end and some locallised repairs where cables had rubbed. Matching the original splatter was pretty tricky but I think I have got away with it. I also colour matched a rebuilt set of Mag 21's whilst I was at it.
Gil is going to run off a fresh set of decals when he gets back from his stateside roadtrip and it should look dandy.

Its very much a work in progress update. I want to kit it out with a full Mavic Groupo but still need shifters, front mech and a rear hub. Spec as it stands is as follows (red denotes items to be changed). Rear wheel and tyre is off something else just to get it off the floor. I have a Mavic rim to build up (cheers Toons!) when I find a hub.

Frame: 1992 WhiskeyTown Racer

Fork: Rock Shox Mag 21 SL

Headset: Mavic MTB
Stem: Unknown steel quill (have the original Mountain Goat one but its too short)
Handlebar: X-Lite Ti
Grips: Onza Ulles

Brakes: Suntour XC Pro (Self energizing rears)
Brake Pads: Suntour
Brake Cables: Shimano XT
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chill Pills
Brake Levers: Suntour XC Pro

Shifters: Suntour XC Pro want Mavic
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900 Mavic MTB
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M733 Mavic short cage road on its way
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano XT
Chain: KCNC 9SL
Cranks: Cooks Bros Mavic on its way
Crank Bolts: Middleburn
Chainrings: Middleburn
Chainring bolts: Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: Suntour
Pedals: Shimano SPD things Suntour XC Pro

Hub Skewers: Mavic
Rims: Mavic M321 CD
Hubs: Mavic Dakar front (Rear to find)
Nipples: Alloy
Spokes: Double butted
Tyres: Toiga Farmer Johns
Tubes: Kenda

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Shimano XT
Seatpost Binder: Ti Bolt

Weight: Not known
Sorry about the poop indoor pictures. Will get some better ones once its finished.

3940704175_ec87a200c3_b.jpg

3941488814_766aae2a39_b.jpg

3940711343_fe3fb59426_b.jpg

3941500072_f7837296d9_b.jpg

3941495894_341c082128_b.jpg

3941504730_2d7219dfd8_b.jpg

scant":1w5huws8 said:
Dr S":1w5huws8 said:
Stem: Unknown steel quill (have the original Mountain Goat one but its too short)

I PMed you about that stem in your previous classifieds thread.

Going to dig it out and get you some pics buddy. Try and do it in the morning.

Dr S":19ormaq7 said:
It was one of three Shockwaves Cycles of Nottingham team bikes BITD and the paint was pretty poor. Instead or repainting it all though I got away with painting just the rear end and some locallised repairs where cables had rubbed. Matching the original splatter was pretty tricky but I think I have got away with it. I also colour matched a rebuilt set of Mag 21's whilst I was at it.
'I think I have got away with it' indeed! Hands up anybody who can see an imperfection? You have high standards Dr S.

Thats a classy retro. I like retros which can be seen as a good looking bike even in today standards ;) . I'm curious which today's bikes could be a "nice looking ones" in lets say 20 years :? .

Cheers
Lukasz

Back