Dont know what to do with this Cinder cone content

bigdavevw

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys, well i bought this frame off al-onestare, cool guy. It has a canti stud snapped off, and some very small cracks on the weld of the toptube, where it is welded to the seattube. the cracks are very small, you need a magnifying glass to see them, but cos of this, i would be using it for road/fire roads. nothing rough till i can get it fixed. Im pretty light anyway :LOL:

I would like som e advice and opinions on how to build it up.
options are:
Project 2,s with rigid stem
project 2,s with flex stem
rs indys
Some other forks
what do u guys think?
Also what should i do about the canti stud?

I want quite a light build, also what headset would be lighter? threaded or aheadset?
PICT3727.jpg

PICT3730.jpg

cheers
dave

Ahead is definately lighter. About the canti studs, two ways of solving it:

1. every framebuilder, renovator should repair this
2. go disc route and give it to the framebuilder to get disc tab ;)

yea money is tight now tho. i would have to send the frame away cos i live in the middle of no where :LOL: what about using an extra long bolt in the original stud or somethin?

yea but i have the snapped off stud, if i was to put the old stud back on and thread an extra long bolt into it would that do?

I'm getting Steven Shand to replace the brake boss on the Explosif - he's quoted arond £30 depending on level of finish, paint etc. see here:

http://www.shandcycles.com/

Based about 10 miles south of Falkirk, so with a bit of macretro jiggery-pokery you might get it there without too much hassle :cool:
Luckily he's going kayaking near me soon and has offered to pick up my frame on the way back :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: Good egg it seems........

bigdavevw":2jm5hva0 said:
yea but i have the snapped off stud, if i was to put the old stud back on and thread an extra long bolt into it would that do?

I thought about this too but then told myself: "FFS these are brake and an essential piece of safety kit, you could die if the bodge don't work"

So for the sake of £30 it seemed like a good deal. Also thought about losing the rear brake altogether and being cool. Dismissed that pdq too :LOL:

Back