1990 Mongoose IBOC Pro

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just finished this bike. I really like the feel of it, maybe it is the XL size, but I am not sure. I bought it, because it brought back memories about a commercial of Mongoose. I don't remember exactly, but there was a large Pickup in it, with Mongoose written on the side, most likely a BMX add. Anyway, when I collected this bike, I was a bit disappointed as it was in a real state. It has seen a lot of action through the years probably, but it came out nicely. Resprayed most of the black parts, but keeping the text. I couldn't do much about the green marble paint, so it has it scratches and scuffs, but just because of the marble paint, it doesn't really show. Enjoy!

Frame: 1990 Mongoose IBOC Pro, Tange tubing, CroMo 4130 DB

Fork: Mongoose CroMo 4130

Headset: Tange (thanks Hoegaardenadds1!)
Stem: Mongoose IBOC
Handlebar: Mongoose
Grips: Ritchey WCS

Brakes: Shimano BR-MT62
Brake Pads: Koolstop Thinline
Brake Cables: Jagwire Ripcord
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano ST-M071

Shifters: Shimano Deore DX
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore DX (M650)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore DX (M650)
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire Ripcord
Cassette: Shimano HG70
Chain: SRam PC-870
Cranks: Shimano MT60 (thanks icantthinkofausername!)
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings: Stronglight + Biopace granny
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-54
Pedals: Cordo (AGU) (VP look-a-like)

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Araya RM-17
Hubs: Shimano Deore DX (M650)
Tyres: Continental Explorer
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Sella Italia
Seatpost: Mongoose
Seatpost Binder: Kalloy

Weight: 13.4kg (29.5lbs)

I don't really understand the weight. The original catalgue states 27lbs, and mine is almost fully original except for the tires. I actually bought those for another bike and planned skinwalls for this one. But the catalgue shows fully black ones as well, and I think the do fit.

Mongoose1.jpg

Mongoose2.jpg

Mongoose3.jpg

I have one of these, though not as nice as yours. Lovely bike.

As for the weight, that catalogue would have quoted a weight for the smallest in the range with all sorts of bits removed.

Nice bike you have there... always liked the old Mongoose bikes (especially the IBOC). You don't see them around too much.

Didn't they also have a way cool titanium IBOC back then? Black/Ti finish?

Thanks guys! Yes, the top model in 1990 was the IBOC Signature, which was indeed a combination of Titanium and CroMo.
I did my first serious ride this weekend on this bike. Incredible! I think I like it best of my bikes. I am not really sure why, but it feels very "effective", if you know what I mean. I have the feeling that all energy you put into it, is really used for forward motion.
Anyway, I am really happy with it, and it is certainly a shame you don't see them more often.

@Henri,nice Mongoose Iboc and nice clour!

Mine Mongoose Iboc comp 1996 is almost finshed with restauration and I think about 2 weeks it will be showed here.

1 week ago on Marktplaats there was the same Mongoose Iboc that you have in the clour Red,but it is sold for 75 Euro`s!
And on Marktplaats is still for sale a Mongoose Iboc comp 1991,maybe some one her from the Netherlands is intresset in this bike.
http://link.marktplaats.nl/274277926

Cheers,

Mark ;)

Its a.. Mongoose.

I bagged one of these on Flebay last night, couldn't resist. It looks like new. Will post some pics after collection! :p

I don't think you will be disappointed! These bikes have a good geometry, at least for me. And yes, pics we want!!!

And another one..

As promised here's a few pics of the Mongoose. Same year and model as Senri's.

Couldn't quite believe it when I went to collect, it's probably done about 50 miles! I've whipped some Trek T2 bar ends off it and given it a bit of a dust over, but other than that its completely stock. There's nothing to fettle or do on it! :?

The guy who had it was into motorbikes (he made frames and swing-arms for retro trials bikes!). He'd had it from new but I don't think it ever left the cul-de-sac..

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 8,917
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 8,910
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 8,919
  • MongooseIBOCPro.jpg
    MongooseIBOCPro.jpg