NEW PROJECT - RALEIGH - DYNA-TECH - VOYAGER

spline72

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all , well i have been asked to post this and i see there are a few on this forum already.

This was my first new mountain bike , it served me well until i was offered a Chas Roberts White Spider Comp(also to be found in this forum)

Its not that much of a looker at the moment, thats probably the fact that it has spent the last 10-12 years on total darkness of various garages between now an then.

this site has encouraged me to dig out those old stead and revamp them.

For this one i am thinking of a new coat of paint and a few new components , but i am not sure which way to turn with it.

at the moment is is half campagnolo olympus (chainset - half stripped of black finish and front deraillier + a set of tatty brake levers to match) and then also XT thumbshifters up front with diac omp SS7 brake levers and dia comp catilivers front and rear.

so do i rebuild it to original spec and go full campag(with the bullit shifters which were poo) or go down the route of XT/dia comp.

was thinking of a paint finish light grey lugs and white tubes, but not sure which way to turn with it?

Attachments

• CUSTOM HUB + SNOWFLAKE SPOKES SMALL.jpg
    CUSTOM HUB + SNOWFLAKE SPOKES SMALL.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 3,703
  • FRONT END XT THUMBIES + DIACOMP SS7 SMALL.jpg
    FRONT END XT THUMBIES + DIACOMP SS7 SMALL.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 3,702
  • DYNATECH REAR SMALL.jpg
    DYNATECH REAR SMALL.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 3,702
  • DYNATECH FRONT SNOWFLAKE SMALL.jpg
    DYNATECH FRONT SNOWFLAKE SMALL.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 3,702
cont.....

if you have any thoughts an the buld or the respray feel free to add tour 10p's worth.
Cheers ,
Dean

Attachments

• CAMPAGNOLO CRANK & MECH SMALL.jpg
    CAMPAGNOLO CRANK & MECH SMALL.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 3,696
  • DYNATECH  FRONT LOW SMALL.jpg
    DYNATECH FRONT LOW SMALL.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 3,696
  • DYNATECH NON DRIVE SIDE SMALL.jpg
    DYNATECH NON DRIVE SIDE SMALL.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 3,696
Please please keep it those colours. Burgandy and silver look sooo classy :cool: That with full campag would be the mutts nuts! :p

Ipicked & bought the bike out of the range for the coulours (sad to say it)
i want to get it resprayed though and i like light coloured frames your right about the classy look , kind of british understatedness.

the Campy Olypus group that came on it always looked a bit naff and i replaced the poo bullit shifters that changed you into a higher gear when you encountered your first twig on the trail straight away for record OR thumbies

I still have one of the OR thumbies but the other has got lost somewhere along the line.

the brake levers also really let down the gropset in the looks department in my opinnion with all the plastic covers and the rubber lever finish splint after mot too long also .

i would not mind going to OR as i loved the looks of it with all polished aluminium , i think that was my thinking with trying to strip the cranks back to a silver.

I have seen for sale on here full brake lever and canti set + set of bullit shifters , all i would need then is a rear mech and i would have the complete groupset again.Humm?should i, shoulden't i?

decissions ,decissions, decissions . . . .

Camapg used Ritchey Logic brake levers re branded after 1994. Super classy levers!

Those with campag thumbies and mechs (though I'd personally use a new campy road mech for reliability etc) and your campy cranks (with egg rings) would be awesome!

I am going to re build my MT4 in original colours with full XT. Dyna Tech BOTM will be pretty close with Thwang's project too!

See my gallery for pic's of my DT's. My road bike I have had since 1993. I also had a DT Quantum from 1993 until it was stolen from me in '95 :cry: :cry:

the dyna-tech i wanted after buying mine was the setup that came the year after with the rigid triple clamp X-Lite forks.

i remember sitting at art college with my 3 mates who were also mountain bike fanatics staring at it when we should have been paying attention during our art history lesson.

one owned a Alpinestar almega DX with the elevated chainstays , the other a specialized rockhopper.

for my dissatation 2 years later i tried to justify the the validity of the mountain bike and its place in culture, i got slated by my tutor sating it was going to be "just another fad like the BMX" and almost failed me on my degree! :shock:

what did he know anyway :shock: :x

Those Oakley stickers are cool...looks like the bike's seen a little action eh!

I'd be tempted to bring back the Campag, love it for it's looks, if not the weight, but hey, we're retro bikers, we don't mind so much about the weight eh! ;)

you,ve got to keep it the colour combo as for my frame its gone well Quiet at the mo.anyway i,ve payed for it with what i think will be the postage £65 all in £50 fro the frame and the rest p+p.

THWANG-666":vbx4x0wj said:
niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
thanks all for the good comments , opinions and suggestions.

its not as nice as when i bought it but i intend to do a good restoration on this one.

I am now thinking along the lines of doing a restoration to original spec and colours , still not convinced that the bullit shifter are for me, i hated them the first time round and i want to run bar ends on it and the two are incompatible.

I still cant remeber what year i bought this in but i do remember the groupset was Olympus , can anyone shed any light on this?

the year is going to help when i source the components been looking on EBAY and found a NOS Olympus rear deraileur for £70 which seems a bit much to me.

will shimano thubies and campag derallieurs work well together?

Back