Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:34 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:18 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 3
I have a 1990 Diamondback Apex project bike and I need all the specs including frame geometry, photos and any other information about this bike that I can get my hands on.

I am the original owner of the bike and after 10 years of not riding it I thought I'd fix her up with a good cleaning, new wheels, rubber, saddle, cables and a paint job. The shifters, breaks levers, breaks, fork, headset, frame, crankset, chainrings, derailers, hubs, and cassette are in very good condition.

The bike shop I took the bike to for the disassembling, cleaning and powder coating has underhandedly swapped my lightly used Shimano Deore DX components to very used LX components and now I am concerned that the fork and frame I got back aren’t the ones I gave them. The same shop also built new wheels for the bike which were supposed to be with the original hubs from my old wheels but again I am worried that they used hubs different from what I originally had.

Any help I can get identifying the original specs for my bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe


Attachments:
File comment: 1990 Diamondback Apex
SS850213.jpg
SS850213.jpg [ 211.06 KiB | Viewed 2965 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:18 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:01 pm
Posts: 547
Location: Bracknell
Was the original colour red with black stripes, that would be a '91 as pictured below.


Attachments:
Apex april '09 (Custom).jpg
Apex april '09 (Custom).jpg [ 239.37 KiB | Viewed 2921 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:53 am 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
XTSTIMAN wrote:
Was the original colour red with black stripes, that would be a '91 as pictured below.


Miss mine every day... :-(

My first real MTB. Still got the brochure from 91.

edit: forgot to say, would still have it now, if not for some ne'er do well, who probably only got about 20 quid for it. Mind you, if it hadn't been nicked, I probably wouldn't have bought a 95 Apex, which I've loved just as much. I'd still like to have both, though ;-)


Last edited by Neil on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:54 am 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 3
My apologies, I should have mentioned in my original post that the bike in the picture is before being painted so what you see there is the original color; it could actually be a 1989 Apex but I am almost certain it is a 1990.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:30 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:56 pm
Posts: 1020
Location: Guernsey
iosono wrote:
I have a 1990 Diamondback Apex project bike and I need all the specs including frame geometry, photos and any other information about this bike that I can get my hands on.

I am the original owner of the bike and after 10 years of not riding it I thought I'd fix her up with a good cleaning, new wheels, rubber, saddle, cables and a paint job. The shifters, breaks levers, breaks, fork, headset, frame, crankset, chainrings, derailers, hubs, and cassette are in very good condition.

The bike shop I took the bike to for the disassembling, cleaning and powder coating has underhandedly swapped my lightly used Shimano Deore DX components to very used LX components and now I am concerned that the fork and frame I got back aren’t the ones I gave them. The same shop also built new wheels for the bike which were supposed to be with the original hubs from my old wheels but again I am worried that they used hubs different from what I originally had.

Any help I can get identifying the original specs for my bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe


that 1990's i sold a few of those back in the day. Teh hubs were not shimano on allof those but soem OEM stuff, the from one was soem tiawan thing. the seat should be an avanir gel but apart from form that it looks pretty spot on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:43 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
biglev wrote:
that 1990's i sold a few of those back in the day. Teh hubs were not shimano on allof those but soem OEM stuff, the from one was soem tiawan thing. the seat should be an avanir gel but apart from form that it looks pretty spot on.


My 91/92 Apex had Deore DX throughout, hubs were DX (I've still got the wheels). Think it had a gel saddle, though - I may well have changed that, BITD.

Pedals were the only groupset omission I can remember for my 92 Apex - think I changed them, either for DX ones (flat / bear-trap), or Tioga Surefoots (VIs). My 95 Apex differs on groupset with the chainset (Sugino Impel), pedals (not sure if they were no name, or the Tioga Surefoot VIs it runs, now), but hubs definitely went with the groupset (Deore LX on my 95).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:34 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:28 am
Posts: 344
Location: Canberra, Australia
I'm more concerned about the shop swapping all the componentry (and possibly the frame). That's just not on. I hope you went back in (with your before photo) and delivered them a swift kick to their goolies. That's not only rude, but theft in my book!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:40 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:37 pm
Posts: 5198
Location: North West
If that can be proven true I think a name and shame is defo on the cards ... :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:56 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 pm
Posts: 1612
Location: Sunny S Wales!
could have been an honest mistake? but if they are really trying to palm off the shite stuff as yours then surely that is outright theft? take the police in with you if they protest, you have your 'before' photo and being the owner from new you have a lot on your side i reckon..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:44 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 3
Believe it or not I have just purchased the same bike (a black version) from eBay for a total of $171.00, which includes the cost of shipping and as an added bonus it comes with the original owner’s manual!

My next step is to visit the bike shop with the eBay bike and owner’s manual; I’ll post the outcome of the visit.


Attachments:
File comment: eBay 1990 Diamondback Apex
eBay 1990 Apex.jpg
eBay 1990 Apex.jpg [ 189.72 KiB | Viewed 2797 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mark-bcn and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group