'93 Explosif

guysbikes

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My ’93 Explosif – rebuilt with some NOS & some contemporary parts in keeping with the original theme

Frame: ’93 Explosif 16”
Fork: Project Two triple butted
Headset: Chris King Threadset
Crankset: Middleburn RS7 170mm w/ Middleburn rings 46/26/24
Pedals: Shimano PD-737 (NOS) w/ ti spindles (Action-Tec)
Bottom bracket: Crank Brothers Cobalt Ti ISIS
Cassette: M910 XTR 12-32 (NOS)
Shifters: XT Thumbies (NOS)
Front mech: M900 XTR (NOS)
Rear mech: M910 XTR (NOS)
Bar: Bontrager Titec Ti
Stem: Joe Murray Velocity w/ Ti bolts
Grips: GT (NOS)
Brakes: Dia-Compe 987 (NOS) with Onza Chill Pills & Koolstops
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe SS7 (NOS)
All cables: XTR SP41
Hubs: Chris King
Rims: Mavic XC717
Skewers: Control Tech Ti
Tyres: Panaracer Cinder 2.1 foldable
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Seat post: Thomson Elite 420mm w/ Ti bolts
Seat clamp: Salsa
All boss bolts: Ti

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 3,094
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 3,094
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 3,094
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3,092
Excellent and tasteful. You're obviously a true retrobiker, judging from the old school saddle height less handlebar height! I think that's the longest seatpost I've seen on a size 16 for a while.

I have a 1994 Explosif in size 16, which is a similar tube selection, just slightly different geometry, and that weighs exactly 4 lbs, which is pretty much the same as the subsequent Columbus Max Explosifs. Does yours weigh much the same as that?

the higher the better!

yep it's high! It comes from having a 20in GT as my 1st proper bike &, at 5'8" & after a season racing it, deciding that a smaller frame was the way forward. Maybe i took it to the extreme but i've never felt more comfortable on any other frame! Anthony yep it's pretty similar - 3.8lbs but i remember agreeing with the guy at sShockwave in Nottingham back in '94 that the major difference between them was that a decent layer of paint had been put on the '94, rather than the wafer thin coat on the '93.

thedirtyroger":19dgenoi said:
looks nice but you need a bigger frame IMHO if your seat is that high! :shock:

That was my first reaction as well

Lovely bike though :D

Nice bike, I had the 93 Kilauea whcih was red at the back. One of there nicest colour years.

Where abouts in Sutton are you? I live there to, meet up for the ride in the park some time??

Cheers Kneedowndean - I'm near Walmley - yep a blast in the park is always welcome - give me a shout when you're free

Respray

Tallpaul - Dave Yates did it at the beginning of the year. I wasn't too happy with the shades (too light) & it's taken me until now to decide to actually build on it - still not long-term-happy though & will have to try again sometime in the future. Getting the decals is a big part of the pain - anyone know somewhere good?

Re: Respray

brummieguy":1y7zweiw said:
Tallpaul - Dave Yates did it at the beginning of the year. I wasn't too happy with the shades (too light) & it's taken me until now to decide to actually build on it - still not long-term-happy though & will have to try again sometime in the future. Getting the decals is a big part of the pain - anyone know somewhere good?

Yeah, the blue is too light and the silver too 'silver'. Did they supply those decals too?

Gil_M supplied me with a proof of his 1993 Explosif decals but they weren't an ideal match for the originals so he is very kindly re-drafting them for me based on the photos and measurements I've supplied him.

Here's mine that is waiting for the decals before going to Argos for them to (hopefully) match the original colours:

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

Here is the original proof Gil sent, as you can see there are a few things that need changing for them to better match the originals:

93_Explosif__Paul.jpg

Back