1941 Schwinn DX Klunker

Ductape

BoTM Winner
The DX:

Always a skateboarder as a kid, I didn't get into bikes until the eraly 80's when my friend turned me onto Mtn. biking. My first bike was a 1984 Diamond Back Mean Streak which I thought was top shelf for the time, but I really wanted a Klunker like I saw the early N. CAL. bikers riding in the pictures. 25 years and several Supermondo Deluxe Mtn. bikes later , I still desired to build up an original Klunker. Well, this is my attempt at fulfilling this dream. Started researching on the internet, found great info here, the CABE, Schwinn forums, MTBR VRC, Rat Rod bikes, and of course Alan Bonds website. Found the DX on the bay and took it apart the first day I got it, stashing the parts strategically around the garage before my sig other got home to find another bike had entered the home. Spent hours trying to remove the 4 coats of paint covering the original Schwinn maroon/white to no avail. In the end there was too much pantina and not enough original paint for my liking. Read every post I could find about painting a bike. Started searching for parts to complete the build. As much as I wanted to keep it era correct, the pocketbook dictated some thing would have to wait until the right price comes up as I substituted other not so era correct parts I had in the parts bin. My ultimate goal is to complete this bike with all pre 1980 components some day.

The original Ebay photo's. Somewhere hiding under all that paint is a real Cream Puff:

bike518c3.jpg

bike518c.jpg

I Realy want an early bike... but nothing ever turns up when i have the cash....

even if it does theres never anyone willing to ship it over :(

looks amazing tho.... damn i need to build a klunker

Prep

I spent days trying to save the original paint. In the end it was a loosing battle. A friend of mine offered to bead blast the frame and fork for me.

I jumped at the chance.

Liberty:

bike518c2.jpg

Naked and ready for prep. The electro forged beauty:

IMG_0151.jpg

What had I got myself into:

IMG_0150.jpg

Paint

I researched all the posts I could find on proper frame prep work and painting. Found a DX stencil set on the bay and had a go. Up to this point my biggest paint project was helping my kids with their pinewood derby cars.

Primer, Sanding, White, stencil, black, sticker, clear, wax......repeat over and over many times.

Easier said than done, it took weeks to find the time and also assure plenty of drying time in between coats.

IMG_0152.jpg

I was totally stoked with the paints end result. Anxious to put it together.

Schwinn0001-1.jpg

That looks fantastic mate, well done! Brilliant job on the home spray job too, I know how hard that can be!

Keep us updated!

Parts

So now I had this awesome frame and barely any proper parts to put on it. My original theme was to keep things to an era where mass produced Mtn bikes were not available. Sure if you had over a grand to drop and lived in Marin county you could get a sweet mountain bike made by one of the now masters of the sport. Outside of that in 1981 (the year I graduated from High school) your choices for the most part, were to make do with an old klunker frame or modify one of the new 26" BMX Cruisers that had recently made their appearance.

Some old and some new, this is what I came up with.

The build:

MAKE: SCHWINN

MODEL: DX

YEAR: 1941 (40 AND 41 FRAMES LOOK THE SAME, MY CRANKS WERE STAMPED 41)

SIZE: 18"

COLOR: BLACK/ IVORY

FRAME CONSTRUCTION: ELECTRO-FORGED STEEL

FORK: ORIGINAL 1941 DX WITH TRUSS RODS

BAR: RENTHAL

GRIPS: REPOP JEWELED

STEM: ASHTABULA

SHIFTERS: STURMY ARCHER THUMB

BRAKE LEVER: MAGURA

RIMS: SUN RHYNO LITE (aaaa ummmm no excuses)

HUBS: STURMEY ARCHER

TIRES: RITCHEY

BOTTOM BRACKET:

CRANK ARMS: CAMPY PISTA 175

CHAINRING: CAMPY 44T

CHAIN:

PEDALS: TIOGA

SADDLE: BROOKS

SEATPOST: SE RACING

CLAMP: SCHWINN

FRONT DERAILEUR: N/A

REAR DERAILEUR: N/A

COG: STURMEY ARCHER 21 TOOTH

FRONT BRAKE: STURMEY ARCHER DRUM

REAR BRAKE: STURMEY ARCHER COASTER

HEADSET: SCHWINN

BB ADAPTOR:

scoured the bay searching for the right parts. One piece at a time. I would spend my allowance and then start saving for the next piece. There is something to be said for donor bikes (don't think it would have worked on this one), buying parts one piece at a time gets expensive.

Schwinn0001.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

untitled.jpg

Finally got it all rideably together a bit earlier this summer. been having a blast riding around with my kids ever since. Done for the most part, but I do think every bike is a work in progress. After three attempts with everything from spraypaint to a brush, just got the headbadge looking pretty good the other day. Love the way the SE Racing seatpost looks and it is era correct, but I have a fear of bending it everytime I go for a ride, so will be switching it out for a solid aluminum rod soon.

Enough banter,

Here are some photo's I took earlier this week:

41DX0001_1.jpg

4120DX20profile0001.jpg

4120DX20a0001.jpg

4120DX20shadow200001.jpg

4120DX2020Cranks0001.jpg

4120DX20shift0001.jpg

This was The funnest bike project I have ever done. Took well over a year to collect and complete. Been my ride of choice all summer long. But then the Fedex driver dropped off some wheels at my front door today. Always felt guilty for using newer wheels on the DX build. Working on a Prewar Schwinn C frame now and it will have era correct wheels (sorry for the low res photo).

Innards of a Schwinn Fore wheel brake and Rear expander Brake:

0904091044a.jpg

Bring on the "C"

Back