1997 Bontrager Privateer Comp

Fenton

Senior Retro Guru
Here is my current rider, a 1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp. It now has IRC mythos tyres as the wildgrippers were perished when I collected the bike. I've changed the front wheel for a hope fatso/mavic 221. The shifters are STX RC and are frankly completely useless, but i've got some lovely XT combos coming my way so problem solved! Otherwise I'm really pleased with it!

IMG_2047.jpg

Same place different day!

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

TheEagleBeerFestival2009065-2.jpg

TheEagleBeerFestival2009069-3.jpg

TheEagleBeerFestival2009066-2.jpg

TheEagleBeerFestival2009067-2.jpg

Frame: Bontrager Privateer Comp
Fork: Rock Shox Judy XC with Bontrager Crown

Headset: Shimano Deore XT
Stem: Control Tech
Handlebar: Titec/Bontrager Titanium
Grips: Bontrager

Brakes: Shimano Deore XT
Brake Pads: Shimano Deore XT
Brake Cables: Shimano SLR
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT (w/control tech jockeys and SRP breakaway bolt)
Gear Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT
Chain: Shimano Deore XT
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT
Chainrings: Shimano Deore XT
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore XT
Pedals:

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT
Rims: Mavic 221/Rigida
Hubs: Hope Fatso/Shimano Deore LX
Tyres: IRC Mythos

Saddle: Bontrager
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: Bontrager

Thanks mate, Its my favorite of all the bikes i've owned I reckon, love it. Once i've swapped out the shifters and levers for some XT combos, I'll be happy.

can you still get 7 speed xt combos?

I'm pretty sure can't get 7 speed or 8 speed XT combos new fella, this bike is 8 speed. If you put a post up in the wanted section, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out though!

Nice looking bike there, good colour for a classy mountain bike.

I can't understand how you could find STX-RC shifters completely useless? I think they're excellent, so precise and reliable they make XT seem vague and wimpish. STX-RC = BMW, XT = Daihatsu IMPO!

Thanks mate, I think these particular STX RC shifters have seen better days to be honest, they are incredibly unreliable..........! They'll be for sale soon as I'm on the hunt for some XT combos now, probably only any use for the brackets though! (I believe these are in demand for retrofitting other sti units, a budget version of the grafton ones!)

re:

Anthony":3cnja508 said:
Nice looking bike there, good colour for a classy mountain bike.

I can't understand how you could find STX-RC shifters completely useless? I think they're excellent, so precise and reliable they make XT seem vague and wimpish. STX-RC = BMW, XT = Daihatsu IMPO!

ohh, shut the f*ck up. they're crap, slx is crap, lx is crap,stx, deore is crap. xt/ xtr is way better. Trust me I've ridden them all.There is no way in hell that stx shifter outperforms Xt/xtr from any time period.

I would say that they are as precise as a worn out gearbox from a 1987 bmw 325 abused by a teenager in some shithole, where people live for football, coalmines or some other rubbish.

Great bike I have to say, looks really posh in green. But if the shifters are done and over with, why sell them? give them away, for someone who needs some parts.

Back