Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:21 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Great thread and Stunning work WD. Generous with your knowledge too, top reading!

You mention auto wax for the polished carbon.. is that how you protect all that shiny alu? or was it that it was all destined for anodizing?

Your thread spured me on to polish up a few alu parts and while the levers that I tried look amazing I wonder how well they'll keep that sparkle. Apologies if you have already mentioned this.. I do tend to get distracted by purdy pictures.

You can add me to the big list of people watching this thread in awe :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:05 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Hi,

Thanks for the interest / compliments :-)

For the last stage of metal polishing I have used NXT paste which is made by Meguiars :D

It is the only metal polish that I have used that’s ‘beads’ water off the surface very similar to a car wax. I don’t know how long this will last under normal usage (not long on the tailpipe of a tuned turbo charged car :-( ) but this isn’t a big concern to me. The ProFlex will have very few polished bits as it will be a all year / all condition bike. The Marin has the shineiest bits but that will be a dry weather only / salt free roads bike as it’s a keeper (that will live in the house and get looked after :-) ).

Bit of a build update :

I picked up some bits at a very nice price from ‘Steelboy’ :

Never seen this type of grip before, not sure if I am going to use them but as the end caps are rubber they will do a great job of protecting the carbon bars. Any comments ? :

The set of bars with the intact logo will be kept as NOS / spares, The set with the damaged logo (which are still NOS) have had the logo removed / polished and will be fitted on the ProFlex :-)

Cheers,

WD :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:34 am 
Retro Guru

are you by any chance into your cameras as well as your bikes? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:11 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

If you are referring to the number of pics I take :oops: I just like recording the bits I do ... :-)

If you are referring to the quality of the pics, they are only off a point and shoot 4mp Sony DSC-P9, which is about 8 years old, bought second hand and the only setting I alter is to turn the flash on and off !

I am not well into my tech gadgets no net, no pc, no sky and no landline ! :oops:

The best gadget I own is the iPhone and I only got that as I thought I was going to get made redundant leaving me no access to the net or email :-( I have pushed the boat out though and put a speaker dock on my crimbo list ... :lol: 

WD :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:26 am 
Retro Guru

i meant the quality, it's quite impressive considering the camera in that case!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:36 am 
Old School Grand Master

Those Tioga wrap grips were a DH type grip from the mid 90's... great stuff!! They worked well as they stuck down and didnt spin in wet conditions...

Cant wait to see this bike built!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:22 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

How are you getting on with it dude?

Pretty interested in how its going.

Mine will be due a complete overhall after winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:47 am 
Retro Guru

are those team legs? they look a funky color

got the bmw logos

etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Ah, that takes me back. I had an 856 in blue with yellow decals. Very light and handled quite well from what I remember. Looking forward to the end result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:02 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

sam264 wrote:
i meant the quality, it's quite impressive considering the camera in that case!

I have been having a look at the settings and it’s on 1280 x 960 but it’s also got :

640 x 480 (we will forget that :lol:)
1600 x 1200
2272 (3:2)
2274 x 1704

Would it be better if I put the size up or would it loose the quality back again when I upload them to photobucket ? :?

Ally wrote:
How are you getting on with it dude?

Pretty interested in how its going.

Mine will be due a complete overhall after winter.

Slowly ... :lol: :oops:

The only thing I have done recently (due to Christmas / work / blah, blah, blah etc) is to polish the bottom of the steerer :

I am not having much polished stuff on this build and wanted to have this powder coated but on close inspection its bonded on and I was worried about the heat from the ovens weakening the joint :-( It came up better than expected due to it’s shape and it being a casting rather than a billet / cnc part 8)

bwhsh8r wrote:
are those team legs? they look a funky color

got the bmw logos

etc

Absolutely no idea ? ! If it helps I think they were yellow and the sun has ‘faded’ them brown ! When I pulled the stickers off they were bright yellow under the dark areas of the stickers where they were shielded from UV :-)

A 'funky' color ? You really should have said a sh1ty shade of brown :lol:

Just a tip I should have mentioned above - for any one that strips parts in the front room (like me) don’t try it with the ODS shocks :lol: Using the old elastomer to push the piston out results in it firing across the room leaving a trial of oil so it’s easy to find again. Seems obvious now but not so when your attention is taken by re runs of top gear on Dave :lol: at least the laminate is wipe clean ...

As this will probably be my last update of the year - Have a good Christmas everyone !

WD :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next