Rocky Mountain Cirrus Frame

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Rocky Mountain Cirrus Frame, 91 I think, just thought I would add it here so I could find it again!!

Cheers...

main.php

well spotted!!

Just had the decals lying around so popped them on. Not quite right, but hate frames without decals.

Now sold, but sounds like there is a good plan for it..

Rocky Mountain Experience

I'm pretty sure that's actually a Rocky Mountain Experience, not a Cirrus. I believe the Experience is even harder to come by than the Cirrus. While the frames share the same construction, they have different geometry and tube lengths. I could make a 100% identification if I get a close up of the chainstay bridge directly behind the seat tube.

Hi Porschenut, had to sell this on unfortunately :(

The chainstay bridge was a bent flat piece, welded in three places. As you say, very similar except for geometry, but didn't quite bottom out for certain.

I'm the new owner of the frame.

So if anybody could supply me with an info i'd really appreciate it.

thanks iain

Na gump i'm deffinately keeping this :D

Could you give me any more info whether its a cirrus or an experience.

iain

Rocky Mountain Experience

The curved flat chainstay bridge (welded in 3 places including into the seat tube) identifies your frame as an Experience and not a Cirrus. It's 7000 series, 2mm (if my memory serves me correctly) straight gauge aluminum (not Easton, I think it might be either Canadian or Japanese tubing). A ~5.6ish lb frame, it originally came equipped with a Tange steel fork (painted bright pink on some years, possibly purple on later years), a Deore DX groupo and Rocky Mountain house components for stem, seatpost etc. I believe the Cirrus had fairly traditional racing geometry - 71 head, 73 seat angles while the design parameters of the Experience were different. It had a 72 degree head angle for quicker steering and ULTRA short (15.75"ish) chainstays for ultimate power delivery, weight transfer and traction for the rear wheel. The bottom bracket height was also 12" or 12"+ for ultimate trail clearance. Essentially, the Experience was an unconventional design catering to the very technical single track riding here in British Columbia. It was priced just above the Equipe but below the Cirrus which came with a Deore XT group and higher spec Syncros components. It will turn on a dime and climb like no other machine you've ridden (as long as you ride low and forward with your ass on the seat). It's truly a rare find. As a bit of background info, I bought a 1991 NOS frame new in 1993 and owned it until 1996 when it was stolen. Further, to give you an idea of its rarity I've been searching for another since 1996 in my area (Vancouver, B.C. CANADA - home of Rocky Mountain Bicycles and a Rocky Mountain mecca) and just last month found and acquired one.

Back