Raleigh Mirage, now reframed - help me identify the frame?

TheLaughingDog

Dirt Disciple
Originally a Raleigh Mirage, Purple Reynolds 501 frame with Exage 300 groupset, purchased here in Ireland in 1989 I think. Since then I've broken the frame twice, once cracking the brazing around the derailleur side rear drop out, which was repaired, and the second time breaking the frame where the seatstays join the seat tube. After much arguing Raleigh finally changed the frame under warranty. At the time they, probably about 1999 or there abouts, they were no longer offering 15 year warranties on their frames so they didn't want to honour the warranty which was given when I bought the bike new. Now I don't know what model of Raleigh frame this one is - maybe some one here can identify it. It's a dark metallic green, steel obviously but no sticker to identify what type, has cast drop outs, seat binder at the front of the seat tube, lugged tubes and just a Raleigh sticker on the top tube and head tube.
Since then I've changed most items on the bike as they wore out. The only things that are still original are the front deraileur, front wheel, handlebar (also 501) and stem, although the stem has now been changed as well for a cro-mo Marin lite jobbie.
DSC00354_1.JPG

DSC00359.JPG

DSC00358.JPG

DSC00357.JPG

The 1990 mirage was purple with 300lx.

No idea on that model but was moonrun not an earlier model? The decals is original point to it being a mid 90s model, not sure if Raleigh did much of 501 quality by then.

None to sure!! A freind had a moonrun early 90's it had a 501 frame and the paint job seemed similar to that

tiboltrider":epfyex8i said:
Looks like a Raleigh Amazon, or Kalahari (without the carbon effect decals) to me.

Ah, recall the amazon in green. Was that 501 or hi ten?

Will defer to any moon run knowledge.

John":4wwoi3s7 said:
tiboltrider":4wwoi3s7 said:
Looks like a Raleigh Amazon, or Kalahari (without the carbon effect decals) to me.

Ah, recall the amazon in green. Was that 501 or hi ten?

Will defer to any moon run knowledge.

Amazon was Hi Ten.

Was it the Moonshine then, in 501 or 531, that was pink/purple/pink?

I'm gutted. I was expecting pics of a mirage. My 1st MTB was a 90 Mirage as correctly stated above, Purple with 300LX. I believe the 89 Mirage was white with exage country bits.

Amazon was hi ten iirc. Which is what I think that frame is.

Either way, if thats a reframed mirage, all I recognise is the saddle QR.

minor_LEGEND":77xpjoz2 said:
I'm gutted. I was expecting pics of a mirage. My 1st MTB was a 90 Mirage as correctly stated above, Purple with 300LX. I believe the 89 Mirage was white with exage country bits.

Amazon was hi ten iirc. Which is what I think that frame is.

Either way, if thats a reframed mirage, all I recognise is the saddle QR.

Looks like a Raleigh bottle cage of the correct era. Wrong colour though.

Back