1997 Kona Kilauea Pics Added

ratbane

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got my recently aquired 18" Kila frame weighed au naturel on digital scales.

For reference it weighs in at 4.43lbs.

Some pics added.

Attachments

• DSC_0184.JPG
    DSC_0184.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,444
  • DSC_0183.JPG
    DSC_0183.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 2,444
  • DSC_0187.JPG
    DSC_0187.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,444
very nice mate ;)

hopefully soon will be joining you in the '97 Kilauea owner's club :D fancy anything off the Marin??

Kila

Recognize it?

Don't need any bits thanks. On the look out for a grey P2 fork.

Decals on order, powder coating pending. Same colour of course, but have been seriously pondering the '95 white blend!!

Gonna get the chainsuck filled properly first. May also change cable routing, and run hydraulics to rear, with new disk tabs.

Interesting that the 97 catalogue quotes frame weight at 3.9lbs. This 18" is 4.43lbs.

That other Kila the full one on retrobikes?

Good luck.

it might be....!

cityslicker offered me a grey P2 but had a threaded steerer so would need quill stem or adapter etc.. might be worth a look though?

4.43lb?! hmmm... maybe Kona were quoting the weight of the smallest frame size? i bet once its built up it will ride very nicely though and 0.5lb (227g ish) could easy be saved in the rolling mass tyres/wheels where its probably more important anyway..

the colour quandry! white is very nice, there's a cindercone or fire mountain on here somewhere in white - looks great and providing the decals are right i'm sure you'd live with yourself ok!

when we got the Kilas sorted we should take them for a blast, if you know of any good trails around here i'd be keen to check them out, my knowledge is mainly Caerphilly mountain area, haven't explored this neck of the woods much yet...

enjoy matey :D

just had a thought, when i bought my Marin i had a tracker fitted, maybe someone did the same with your frame? might be what's adding weight to it?

Weight

My Lavadome weighes less than this! 4.17 pounds, somethings not quite right with that weight, should be way lighter

A Lava Dome doesn't weigh anything like as little as 4.17lbs. If it did, Kona would hardly have claimed 4.5lbs, as their claims were always optimistic to say the least of it - 'without paint' or some such dodge. Accurate weights in magazine tests of Lava Domes/Cinder Cones were c4.8lbs for a size 18 frame.

My size 17 97 Kilauea weighs 4.19lbs on what I believe to be a fairly accurate scale (i.e., I've checked it against items of known weight). Grading up for the tube lengths, that is equivalent to 4.28lbs for a size 18 frame. So I'm surprised that your scale says as much as 4.43. For comparison, Kona's claim for the Kilauea was 3.9.

Weight

Sorry should have qualified, both only 16 inch frames, cindercone and lavadome both weigh just under 4.2 pounds bare weight, fully painted.
An 18 is considerably bigger than a 16, as the ctc on a 16 seat tube is only 13 inches and top tube 21. Both weighed on digital scales so won't be far out. I had an 18 which was too big and this weighed 4.6 on the same scale. But getting sidetracked here!
I was told by a dealer once that many Kona frames were re badged in the factory if they were short of a specific model and that only the components were different and the Explosif had different tubes. The Kilauea picture above has the same drop outs and detail as my more recent Lavadome, so maybe they were the same frame?
I gather it was luck of the draw sometimes you got a better or lower frame with different paint on it!

Re: Weight

Wold Ranger":25jz90vf said:
Sorry should have qualified, both only 16 inch frames, cindercone and lavadome both weigh just under 4.2 pounds bare weight, fully painted.
An 18 is considerably bigger than a 16, as the ctc on a 16 seat tube is only 13 inches and top tube 21. Both weighed on digital scales so won't be far out. I had an 18 which was too big and this weighed 4.6 on the same scale. But getting sidetracked here!
I was told by a dealer once that many Kona frames were re badged in the factory if they were short of a specific model and that only the components were different and the Explosif had different tubes. The Kilauea picture above has the same drop outs and detail as my more recent Lavadome, so maybe they were the same frame?
I gather it was luck of the draw sometimes you got a better or lower frame with different paint on it!

The dropouts are exactly the same as Columbus and Reynolds Explosifs too, so can't judge by that.

The bike certainly looks like factory paint and undercoat. The frame swap thing is a possibility.

The "ping" off the top tube sounds more like the Kila/Explosifs I've owned though. Very thin in the mid tube area.

I reckon it's a Columbus frame.

It's possible that the scales were out, so I'll get it checked again.

Interesting mind eh!

baj":1trys1vf said:
just had a thought, when i bought my Marin i had a tracker fitted, maybe someone did the same with your frame? might be what's adding weight to it?
Or possibly the scales!!

Back