Cinder Cone (1990?)

Simod

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Saw this in a bike shop before Christmas looking very sorry for itself. :cry:
I couldn't resist and decided to give it a home.
Usual problems - shot BB and headset - all cables corroded.
Frame has a few chips but it is very good considering.

It seems as if it is original - Mountain LX mechs + shifters and a U-brake.
Wheels are original - i changed the tyres as it was shod with some nasty cheap black walls. I've also changed the saddle as the one on there was knackered plus it wasn't the original anyway.

I think it is a 1990, but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Attachments

• cinder1.JPG
    cinder1.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 2,158
  • Cindercone.JPG
    Cindercone.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,158
Looking pretty sweet now! :cool:

Reckon it is a 1990, the 1989 models had curved Project 2 forks.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

88/89 Methinks.

The curved P2s were a wierd one. Ive only seen one bike with them on and they never featured in magazines/brochures. Wierd!

most definatly 1989!
shimano dumped mountain lx for the 90's.

anything pre 89 did not have hyperglide cassettes. straight p2's were standard also.

if only i still had the catalouge! they did only three models, the explosif, cindercone & fire mountain.

1990 cindercone had a suntour groupset with x-press shifters.

god, im such a geek. :shock:

I've had this out for a few rides now over the past weeks and it is ace! :D
Really takes me back to my MTB roots. :shock:

However it may be up for sale if anyone is interested, due to a new retro build.

If anyone is interested then PM me.
Cheers
Simon.

My first bike !

The Kona Cinder Cone was my first mountain bike all those years ago. Sold almost all the toys I had ever been bought to buy it. It was bought from Finch & Sons back in late 80s when I was about 14 years old. Think it was about £400 ! Loads of money at the age of 14 !

It had straight P2 forks and Mountain LX group set. Was also fitted with the hyperglide cassette.

Xeo is right about the 1990 model was fitted with Suntour.

I'm off to my old folks house this weekend as they are away in France for 5 weeks so I can make a mess trying to find all the old sales stuff.

I seem to remember that it had Joe Murrys signature on the back edge of the top tube. Not sure that my bike had the same style of grey stickers. Im sure it was just base white with red and yellow splatters... Long time ago and not 100 sure though.

What size is your bike ?

Scott

Back