Platsa Blue SS latest (and final?) changes.

Andy R

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Most recent and most successful version to date - originally just intended as an experiment but I like it so much the 29" wheel is almost certainly going to stay.

Attachments

• PBSS-2.jpg
    PBSS-2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,465
Hi Andy,

Was thinking of an experiment like this with my CK.

Are those Salsa forks 29 er specific or have you squeezed a 29'' wheel into a 26'' fork?

Have you found the ride to be fore forgiving?

Looks ace BTW :cool:

Still using that eccentric BB device?

Hi Mark,

The forks are 425mm a/c Cromoto's, which are for 26" wheels, suspension corrected for 80mm. There's loads of room (it's not much of a squeeze!) for the 29" wheel though, as you only increase the radius by something like 30mm.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words in cases like this I've attached one - the tyre I'm using is a 2.2" Mountain King (which has turned out smaller that I'd like, the 2.4" would have been a better choice) but there'd be no clearance problems with any tyre that I can imagine using, as you have well over 20mm all round.

On the subject of clearance, no problems with toe overlap either (not for me anyway, maybe for size 13 feet...).

Since converting it I've had it out twice on a couple of four hour rides, once on a club ride last weekend and yesterday with one of my riding mates. Both times I've been well pleased with it - I can't find any disadvantages, only improvements.
The bike is just as poised and agile in technical, slow stuff as it ever was and on rough and stony tracks I think the larger front wheel is a real advantage.

The guy that I was out with yesterday (he was on his Cove Handjob, with 130mm forks) rode it for a few miles and in his words "it just seems to bound along" and on swoopy single track he reckoned that it tracked through corners better than anything he'd ridden.
He has ridden it with a 26" front wheel BTW (and liked it then) but he was sufficiently impressed by the way it rides now to say that he'd consider building something along the same lines - I don't think he will though as he's more conservative than me :roll:

And yes, I'm still using the Excentriker, with no problems in well over a year of use. I'm well happy with it.

The thing that I like most about this bike is the way it just seems to make things easy - ok, it's a singlespeed, and stiff climbs will never be easy I suppose but if you really dig in it's surprising what you can climb on it (it wasn't my "10 years younger than me" mate who was waiting at the top of the climbs anyway ;)) and of course, it's light. Light to carry and to throw up over banks and stuff too.

Andy.

Attachments

• Tyre-clearance_1.jpg
    Tyre-clearance_1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,365
Nice bike Andy. Slightly odd wheel arrangement but I like the colour of the frame and the conversion looks well done too.

What year is the frame and how did you go about the modifications?

Back