1989 Specialized "MockCombo"

nimbus

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
[saga]

My first MTB, bought new from Halfords in summer 1990 for £250, knocked down from £400 as it was the previous year's model. Originally pale grey with blue decals (like picture 1, but larger), I rode it regularly until circa 1995 when I discovered girls and alcohol :roll:. It was then abandoned in various damp sheds and cellars until about 2003, when I returned to the UK and got back into bikes. The bike needed alot of TLC, but being unwise in the ways of retro I rattle canned it dark grey and fitted V-brakes, risers and suspension forks (picture 2) - the shame :oops:. Luckily I am a compulsive hoarder and kept all the old parts, so this year decided to restore it to something like original spec.

As my two other mountain bikes are also grey, I thought this one should have some colour so had the frame and forks powdercoated blue (RAL3015, if anyone's interested - looks darker in real life than the pics do on my screen). Components are mostly from the original Mountain LX groupset (M45x) supplied with the bike. Saddle, post, BB and pedals are long gone, replaced with a Turbo, Syncros-esque Kalloy, UN53 and M525 SPDs respectively. The crank spider has been warped for as long as I can remember, so the Biopace rings (mix of original and replacements) have to be shimmed by placing some of the spacers on the 'wrong' side.

The most significant changes are up front, where I fitted some WTB dirt drops (thanks kingroon) and a hybrid stem (from bankrupt-surplus-bike-bits on ebay). Brake levers are Dia-Compe 'Gran Compe' (ebay), thumbshifters are attached to mounts I made from aluminium coat hooks and old Weinmann lever clamps. Once the setup is dialled, the bars will be getting white tape. Big thanks are due to hennahairgel for the karma front cable hanger, which makes the bar/stem/brake setup possible.

Things to be done include decals (coming along slowly); wheels (worn hubs and rusty spokes) and tyres (currently Cheng Shins with sidewalls that are disintegrating before my eyes). The bike will be used for mixed commuting, pootling and light touring, so I'm on the lookout for some amberwall semi-slicks - a pair of original Crossroads II or Hardpacks would be ideal. I may 'borrow' the rustwall IRC Fiesterras from my bro's Raleigh Mirage if I can't find anything more suitable.

Couple of pics from yesterday's stumble around some local woods; found some solitude but not much singletrack. Rides great - with the stem length and bar angle, it's something inbetween a RockCombo and a classical 'dirt drop' setup. I'll post a more complete spec and some better snaps once the tyres and tape are sorted.

[/saga]

Attachments

• pic4.JPG
    pic4.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 1,084
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,084
good work, glad to see youre getting so much joy out of it after all these years.
never sell it!

Thanks for the kind words chaps. I'd never sell the frame, partly as I wouldn't get back the cost of the powdercoat, but mainly because of our history together.

@GoldenEraMTB - your posting of that RockCombo on ebay a few months back was the catalyst for this build - thanks again.

Attached another pic of the 'Hopper in its element.

Attachments

• pic5.JPG
    pic5.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 969
nimbus":2pu9ulcn said:
Thanks for the kind words chaps. I'd never sell the frame, partly as I wouldn't get back the cost of the powdercoat, but mainly because of our history together.

@GoldenEraMTB - your posting of that RockCombo on ebay a few months back was the catalyst for this build - thanks again.

Attached another pic of the 'Hopper in its element.

wow; glad I could have a small role- it's a really cool custom build; love it man :cool:

Back