Kestrel CSX (Trimble to follow soon.......)

DDS

Retro Newbie
Here's my retro XC beast, enjoy:

3-11.jpg

3-12.jpg

3-13.jpg

3-10.jpg

I'll get pics of the Trimble up as soon as I can get to it up in the loft!

Nice!
I dunno much about Kestrel frames but that looks like a tidy package.
Gotta love M952 and Middleburn :D

Nice to finally see another kestrel on this site, was beginning to feel lonely.

What year is that then DDS ?

Hi RetroBG,

I think I was 20 when I bought it (from new) and that's 13 years ago, so I would guess it's from about 1994.

I am so tempted to get myself a new Kestrel road bike but have a bit more saving to do first!! There is something very unique about them. You sure don't see many out on the trails / roads.

DDS

DDS":292v3rxi said:
I am so tempted to get myself a new Kestrel road bike but have a bit more saving to do first!! There is something very unique about them. You sure don't see many out on the trails / roads.

DDS

Yeah, if I went roadie I would, lovely clean lines , no lugs or welds makes carbon a real work of art to me .

" cycle composites, inc " 1992 Kestrel CSX

In 1992 I was a Canadian pro privateteer racing in Mammoth Lakes California when I met Brent from " Cycle Composites " Kestrel. Kestrel hooked me up with a sponsorship for 1992-93. I still have a Kesrel csx frame and carbon kevlar prototype handlebars which I am rebuilding now. The ride of carbon is like no other frame material and I was lucky to experience that. The alluminium bb shell has a tendancy to seperate from the carbon and the water bottle braze ons come loose other then that carbon is forever and is mans best friend . To be true to the period you need a Rock Shox Mag " Magnesium " 21 for the front suspension.I Beleive that your red CSX is a 1992 model, Kestrel changed ownership the following years. I have pictures on my web site www.xtremecanada.com of my Kestrel csx in action. [/b]

Attachments

• bd mammoth 1993 2 fini low rez.jpg
    bd mammoth 1993 2 fini low rez.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 4,072
Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forums! Wow must have been pretty cool riding the Kamakazi eh :shock:

DDS >> very cool looking Kestrel, I was always a little confused, what came first, the Trek OCLV or the Kerstrel composite frameset...they both looked pretty simular, apart from the dropouts ofcourse.. :?

Rich

kestrel csx

It was amazing riding the Kamikaze and I beleive the Kestrel came first the Treks had lugged frames and the Kestrels are monocoque one piece.

Kestrel MX-Z

I found a bunch of old magazines relating to carbon development and I will post it on my web site in the vintage mags section www.xtremecanada.com in the April 1989 Mountain Bike Action there is an artical about the Kestrel MX-Z allso I found a March 1989 Bicycling mag with the Trek 5000 with a molded carbon frame of 3 composite assemblies : the main triangle, seatstay wishbone and chainstays. Carbon fiber sockets and adhesive bonding attach the 3 elements and the Kestrel is formed in one mold.

Attachments

• MBA April Kestrel Nitro carbon.jpg
    MBA April Kestrel Nitro carbon.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3,921
Back