NEW BUILD FROM N.O.S GT LTS FRAME

spline72

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all , this is my first post on this site, although not my first forum.
I thought i would share with you all my latest creation, it started as a what if?

I have been riding another GT LTS 1000 DS since i bought it in 1998 and it has done me proud, i have riden it every day for the last 9 years.

It was gettting a bit tired as you can imagine so started looking around for a new frame to build up and came across the new frame on EBAY and it had never been built up.

I just had to have it!

i spent months with it sat in my office at home just looking at it deciding what components to build it up with.

I eventually decided as my other LTS is pretty much stock to do a modern equivelent and specing 2007 components.
I have matched the manufacturers as close as possible to the original spec(white industries hubs , etc.)

The component spec is as follows :-

* Frame Size & Color - GT LTS 1000 1998 polished silver 18 inch
* Shock - Rockshox super deluxe
* Fork - Rockshox Pike 454 UTurn coil
* Brakes - Shimano LX levers + Saint calipers + Goodridge carbon hoses + 160 rotors
* Cranks - Shimano saint 175mm (22-34-44)
* Shifters - XT
* Front Derailleur - XT top swing dual pull
* Rear Derailleur - XT
* Pedals - Shimano 520 SPD
* Stem - Race Face Diabolous 50mm 10deg rise
* Handlebar - Truvativ Team Carbon riser
* Seatpost - Kore Lite
* Saddle - GT Titanium Flite copy
* Bottom Bracket - Shimano Saint
* Cassette - XT 11-32
* Chain - XTR
* Headset - Race Face Diabolous
* Grips - Schwinn silver glitter
* Front Tire - Panaracer Fire XC 2.1
* Front Rim - Mavic XM321
* Front Hub/Skewer - White Industries Venti 20mm + Rockshox Maxel
* Rear Tire - Panaracer Fire XC 2.1
* Rear Rim - Mavic EX325
* Rear Hub/Skewer - White Industries DJ + red hope
* Weight - 32lbs

It rides like a dream!

Attachments

• LTS rear end detail new build 5SER.jpg
    LTS rear end detail new build 5SER.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 4,029
  • LTS front new build 1SER.jpg
    LTS front new build 1SER.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 4,029
  • LTS drive side new build 2SER.jpg
    LTS drive side new build 2SER.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 4,029
Sweet!
Always loved that frame.
Dunno much about modern components but it looks like you've really thought about it and not just thrown random bits together.
Nice one!

how strange!

its really odd, looking at a bike that i was so familer with, having sold plenty where i worked, (& loving them then) to see it dashed with todays kit.
but in a way, they were slighty ahead of their time maybe..
4.7" travel (4-6" on modern "xc" bikes now)
its adjustable to boot
slacker seat tube angle, encouraged more "balls out riding"

it does look like a decent "hardcore" xc bike!

well done :D

Thanks for the replies,

I will show you my original LTS that i have kept running for the last 9 years also, i made sure that my original bike was only ever repaired or replaced or upgraded with period components.

The first GT LTS 1000 DS I have owned since new in 1998 (16 inch frame) anodised Acid orange/mango with black and silver components.

It has pretty much all original 24 speed spec components XT/XTR.

I have replaced - headset + seat post + rear wheel which I replaced when turning rear to rock shox disc with matching White industries rear disc hub.

The frame has a 1st generation Rockshox Super Deluxe 750 x 1.4 , also I have a spare 2nd generation Rockshox Super Deluxe 750 x 1.4 shock.

The frame is fitted with retro 3 bolt Rockshox discs brakes - 3 bolt rotors front 160mm and rear 140mm with 2 spare callipers and 210mm rotors.

I had the frame fitted with full BETD bearing kit all pivot points replaced with roller bearings(no more squeaks)

Also BETD bolt on rear disc mount and mech hanger

The hubs front and rear is polished White Industries 3 bolt disc with Rockshox rotors

I have 4 spare NOS 3 bolt White Industries hubs waiting to become more wheels

3 are boxxer hubs and one is a rockshox hub by white industries - 3 front + 1 rear

2 - front 20mm bolt thru X 110mm hubs
1 - front QR Rockshox disc 100mm hub
1 - rear is boxxer 135mm 3 bolt

Additionally I have one 6 bolt White Industries second hand silver QR front M16 hub so if I ever change this bike to 6 bolt hubs and rotors incase I run out of spares for the 3 bolt Rockshox discs spares.

This bike is now turning into my street/commuter bike as I have just put some DMR Transission 2.2 street/vert tires on with tread that run right up to the rim, not sure if I will keep them on as I am not overly happy with the ride, it makes it a bit sluggish.

I am toying with the idea of going single speed , or 11-32 cassette rear - single 42 tooth front (London is flat and fast to ride so I never use a granny ring, infrequently middle ring).

I hope this satisfies the purists with what I have done to my new frame and rebalances the retro karma :D

Attachments

• PIC_020_SMALL.jpg
    PIC_020_SMALL.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 3,905
  • PIC_010_SMALL.jpg
    PIC_010_SMALL.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 3,905
  • PIC_014_SMALL.jpg
    PIC_014_SMALL.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 3,905
  • PIC_013_SMALL.jpg
    PIC_013_SMALL.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 3,905
was that colour not called "hot mango"
saw one at glentress on saturday looked well loved/used
funny haven't seen one on the trails for a while.
mikee

mikee":3rgtjyu4 said:
was that colour not called "hot mango"
saw one at glentress on saturday looked well loved/used
funny haven't seen one on the trails for a while.
mikee

The GT brocher says it is "ACID ORANGE" but the closest match to the anodising i have seen anyone get is CHRIS KING and its always described as "MANGO"

I was thinking of rebuilding this one with Chris King hubs and headset in mango and going OTT mango single speed urban assult rig!

Really I need to build up a rigid or hardtail , something with a bit more vintage from the 2 other frames I have sitting in the garage.

I have my first 2 bikes to reanimate :-

DYNATECH - VOYAGER that originally came with a full CAMPAGNOLO groupset which i still have bits of.

or

CHAS ROBERTS - WHITE SPIDER COMP , much loved(but dented down tube)and needs most parts as i stupidly sold the forks to a freind.

not sure which will be first for the T.L.C!

Back