Turner Burner (V-2) 1996

Nick 32sixteen

Dirt Disciple
Well, the frames from 1996... One of the V-2 models made by Sportech in Corona, California.

lh.jpg

rh.jpg

rail.jpg

In a change from the 'concours' rebuild style of many bikes on here this one is kept reasonably up-to-date - it's fitted with stuff that works, and when that stuff breaks/wears out it's fitted with new stuff that works.

Fox Float 100 RLC are from 2002, travel reduced to 80mm.

Seatstays are later too, so it works with Hope C2 calipers. These are #1's which are now officially out of stock. I think I got one of the last ones when it was serviced recently.
c2.jpg

Hope Bulb hubs are of the era, and I got one of the lightnig strike discs on the rear. It was on the front, but the braking surface is smaller and doesn't work as well as the plain drilled version.
disc.jpg

I'd love to say it was still shifting using this...
sram.jpg

... but the jockey wheel bearings disintegrated. I thought it had been bent in a crash, but that was just the mech hanger. I discovered that after I'd fitted a SRAM X-9 mech, which I've kept on there. Transmission is 9 speed using a new XT sprocket.

Roox cranks which skin your ankles have just been replaced with some XT external BB units.

Syncros stem still just about usable, the top cap has given up the ghost.
syncros.jpg

I've got a buddy with a Burner of the same vintage. He loves it. Same as yours, it is built with whatever works, and it gets ridden.

Burners were ahead of their time by a wide margin. :cool:

Understated?

beepbeep":29zjr262 said:
Nice! Love the understated looks of early Turners, they did a lovely powder-blue colour too.

I've found that compared to other colours* yellow bikes attract the most looks.

* red, blue, black, white, grey, metallic blue

Nice but can we have some better and/or larger photos? This frame looks very much like one I tried to buy a few years back...

I should post photos of my 95 FTF (aka Burner)...

beepbeep":3vfhcsad said:
Have you got pictures of your Rockys? :D

Clicky takes you to flickr

The Element is incomplete - no rear wheel which is why there's a singlespeed wheel in there.

andrewl":3vfhcsad said:
This frame looks very much like one I tried to buy a few years back...

I know this one has never been for sale. Yellow ones all look much the same :)

beepbeep":27s3yi4s said:
Like the Element, are you planning on restoring it?

Maybe. Can't decide if it is worth updating as an everyday XC ride for today or trying to find some suitable old-skool bits for it. The forks are swaying me to old-skool.

Back