Mona hey-ooh

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello, hello!

This is a little something I've cobbled together on the very cheap, recycled cables etc. Some parts from my Black to Basics Univega which put in sterling service at Mayhem but is unfortunately too big for me. The rest is post sort out Man Cave surplus. (Pics at the very bottom of the post.)

It's a Mongoose IBOC Team Series frame (Fully double butted 4130 Chro-Mo so says the sticker.) With a '93 Kona Tripple Butted P2 fork nailed on, hence the name Mona. It's called a hey-ooh after the rather regretable song by curly haired Neighbours refugee Craig McLachlan.

To some of you this will be sacrillage. Ruining a Mongoose frame with the addition of a Kona fork, others will want to crucify me for wasting a TB Kona P2 fork and some of you aren't going to care 'cos it's a cheap, bling free pile of poo.

The pics make it look better than it is, the paint is rotten on frame and fork with rust spots showing. They're structuraly sound but needs powdercoating, suggestions for basic colours welcome. I'll get this done once I'm happy with how it rides and when funds and time allow. The XT stuff isn't in brilliant condition either, it's going to be a rider though so as long as it all works. Pick it up and the front of the bike is very light, the back is quite heavy. I doubt the fully double butted sticker, I reckon the back end is finest gas pipe. The ride is, well, unusual. It climbs like a chimpanzee with a rocket up its arse. Downhill and on singletrack it's rather nervous. My benchmark ride was the Univega which was just sublime :cry:

The drive side BB cup is well and trully seized in, any tips on getting it out before I go down the blow torch route to heat the frame up?

Any who, for those who are interested in such things, here's the spec:

Frame: Mongoose IBOC Team Series. Double Butted 4130 (Anyone know what year as I don't)

Fork: 1993 Tripple Butted Kona P2

Headset: Shimano Deore DX 1 1/8" (The top nut is a mint silver one, any one got a black one they would be prepared to swap?)
Stem: Tioga Avenger Prestige OS T-Bone
Handlebar: Ritchey FD-6061 T6
Grips: Race Face

Brakes: Shimano Deore XT M734
Brake Pads: Koolspot Eagle II
Brake Cables: Original Shimano heavy duty ones
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano XT
Brake Levers: Shimano XT M733

Shifters: Shimano Deore 7+1 thumbies
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M735 short cage (running STX jockey wheels and cable adjuster).
Derailleur Cables: Old shimano outers, misc recycled inners.
Cassette: Shimano HG70 LX 11-28 8 speed
Cranks: Shimano XT M730
Crank Bolts: Shimano XT
Chainrings: Shimano SG 48, 36, 26
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT cup and cone
Pedals: Ritchey SPD

Hub Skewers: Mavic
Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite
Hubs: WTB Speed XC
Nipples: hee hee, nipples, giggle.
Spokes: Sapim
Tyres: IRC Mythos, rear is a front fitting on frack to bont.
Tubes: Specialized
Rim Tape: Schwalbe

Saddle: Flite titanium
Seatpost: Kalloy purple ano that has faded pink
Seatpost Binder: Shimano XT QR

Cheers.

Attachments

• Monaii.JPG
    Monaii.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 3,385
  • Mona i.JPG
    Mona i.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,385
Tidy.

I've got a soft spot for those old IBOCs as a mate used to ride one. IIRC, they came with straight bladed forks so the P2s are a perfect match.

Surely P2s are the best selling aftermarket fork so they're appropriate for pretty much anything.

Yearwise... I'll take a stab at 1991/2, based on my sketchy memories of riding with my mate (he had the IBOC Comp).

Thanks chaps.

Russell":1jnwtoy9 said:
IIRC, they came with straight bladed forks.

I have the original IBOC forks for this too, they're curved (mud guard eyes on the frame but none on the forks :? ). I didn't like the look of them so went for the P2s. I don't want it to be all show and no go though so if Mona proves herself there'll be an application for a place in the Old Farts again next year. :cool:

Tinkety tonk!

i believe in fixies":jamy2wad said:
Thanks chaps.

Russell":jamy2wad said:
IIRC, they came with straight bladed forks.

I have the original IBOC forks for this too, they're curved (mud guard eyes on the frame but none on the forks :? ). I didn't like the look of them so went for the P2s. I don't want it to be all show and no go though so if Mona proves herself there'll be an application for a place in the Old Farts again next year. :cool:

Tinkety tonk!

Thats interesting, the comp that my mate rode definately had black, straight bladed forks. Peaked my interest enough to try to find a catalogue now :)

No more 'retro-racing' for me BTW. Selling all my retro gear, just keeping the old faithful Zaskar for commuter/babyseat duty.

Regret getting shot of this one, still she's gone to a good home, Canondale King's having a pop at building it up.

Back