1989 Raleigh Montage

stephan

Retro Guru
1989 Raleigh Montage...

£20.00 From a second hand shop in Edinburgh. I think it has sat in a garage for 20 years. I respoked the wheels with stainless spokes, alloy rims and hubs, 501 tubing, the mudgaurds cost me more than the bike, I replaced the saddle and put on a LX crank I had around, new chain and V brakes, gear shifters, everything else as was .... great bike and light too for getting around on ....

Think ive spent £100 all in including the bike :) bargin

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

Cheers,

Stephan ...

I suggested a Raleigh Rally in the rides and meets section, the lack of interest was deafening :roll:

We could certainly have a central Scotland meet but not in the wet, I've upgraded the Alaska's brakes with old school V's but steel rims are still scary in damp weather :LOL:

Wanted a montage but had a massif instead for a bit, great geometry on these bikes.

Velo

The geometry is good - this thing cruzzes like no other bike I have owned, its also light as well, as light as most modern alloy bikes, I have spent many hours stripping the thing down and replacing all bearings etc .. lucky I have a friend thats a wheelbuilder - he respoked the wheels and dished the rear properly within two hours :) ...

Yea we should have a "rally" ;-) nice massif by the way

thanks , i'm still undecided if i should upgrade it to full dx or lx or just keep it standard....

it's such an easy bike to ride (if that makes sence ?) after 19 years from owning my first one i can still wheelie it.... :LOL: :LOL: i'll have to get the wife to take some pictures :oops: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Raleigh

TASTY!

You could strap some rear panniers on that and cycle round the world. Come back in 2 or 3 years and write a book, get a nighthood for your efforts and live in the lap of luxury for the rest of your life. These are the kinds of things that happen to Raleigh Montage owners.

Nice and nice... it's much better condition than mine ever was..

I finished the rebuild on mine a couple of hours ago (no joke) and i'm looking forward to it's first ride.
Resprayed it in Ford wedgewood blue (bit darker and more pastelly than the original colour), with matt black forks and bars:) Not by any stretch a durable finish but it's there.

Rough specs:
Sakae Ovaltech with suntour XCT F&R mechs,
Shimano canti's
Joe Murray Velocity Stem
Amberwall Schwalbe City Jet tyres
Alesa rims with Sachs-Haillard hubs,
Ally sakae seatpost, Selle saddle (not period but damn comfy)
Dia Compe levers (290 and 292, should have been a pair of 292s but i really like the 2 different ones!)
Ritchey Grips, XLite bar ends...

Pics will follow...

Back