Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Almost certainly a 68mm bottom bracket width as that size was in use for ages before 73mm came along....but I'm sure someone else will correct me if not. Probably would have been a closed cup bb originally but you could probably fit a later type provided width, axle length and taper are suitable for your crankset.

I'm not sure what cranks you have, if they're original and you want to keep them then you might be looking for a 122mm axle with square taper or a 113mm with square taper. Can't rememember when 113mm axles started to be used (they were later than 122mm). Both axle lengths are still available in shimano un54 flavour.....see ... elID=17473

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:36 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Let me know how you get on with the BB change, as its something I'll be doing as well on my 91 CC before too long, and which UN54 version you went with?

What are you planning to do with the grease nipple as you won't be needing it with the UN54 obviously? Leave in place or remove and fill?

Re a suitable replacement for the nasty unbranded quill stem, I gave up trying to find a nice velocity stem, and seeing as I would have liked a riser anyway, I decided to go with an a-head adaptor. However, as luck would have it, I then found a NOS black 120mm/15 degree Syncros Cattleprod, so will be using that instead - looks beautifully made and seems very light.

Saddle and respray of forks next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:07 pm 
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider

Location: In the foothills of the foothills of The Cairngorm Massif :D
BB change is easy enough - I fitted 113mm version which suits the Ritchey cranks I'm currently using. Just remove grease port and cover hole with strong tape to prevent water ingress.