Advice please - 1991 Kona Cinder Cone

bertberr

Devout Dirtbag
Just acquired a 1991 Kona CC in black, in fairly good but non standard nick, and am looking to give it a small refresh / update. Brief spec as follows:

Frame & P2 fork as standard in black inc. original decals, but P2's have a very pitted look - think just surface rust.

Campagnola Mirox rims - run nice & true, will leave as is.

Most of the Suntour XC Ltd G/Set has been replaced, in fact the only remaining XC Ltd component is the crankset - it's now running Shimano Deore XT front and rear mech & 7/8 speed deore thumbies, Deore V-Brakes with matched v-brake levers.

OK, heres the bit I'm stuck on - it retains the original Kona 165 Aluminium bars & Impact headset (not sure if 1 1/8" or 1"), but has some terrible non-branded riser stem that looks like it weighs about as much as the rest of the bike. I want to retain the flat bars but replace the stem. Due to a slightly dodgy back ideally I'd like a small rise / short stem perhaps 80mm, but also want it to look more at home on the old cinder - any suggestions? And what implications are there in terms of compatability with the impact headset? Can I just order any stem I like the look of or is there a specific size fitting for this bike?

Cheers
BB

Plenty of choice out there - you just need to determine whether 1" or 1 and an eighth setup. My '92 cone is 1 and eighth, but I dn't know about your '91 version. 1988 is 1". Easy enough to check though. Put photos up :D :D

Thinking the impact headset was only made in 1 1/8th perhaps.......

ok, for a relative numpty such as myself (gears & brakes are my current limit...) is there an easy way of telling if this is a 1 & 1/8" impact without having to pull it apart?

thanks for reply, but wouldn't 22.2 be about 7/8" and 25.4 be 1"??? If it is a 1&1/8" shouldn't it be stamped 28.5 or thereabouts???
Cheers
BB

ok thanks i'll pull it tomorrow and take a look.

assuming it is a 1&1/8" (so stamped 25.4), are there any other considerations when looking for a new stem, i.e. the design of the impact headset etc in so far as unlike more modern bikes, there is no exposed steerer tube for a stem to just slide over and be tightened?

Cheers
BB

Nothing to worry about, just go for a length and rise that suits your riding style, I would suggest something slimline so it compliments the thin tubes of the steel frame. Colour, well everything else is black! As you are running V brakes you won't need a cable noodle thingy, unless you decide to go back to canti brakes, but then you could always worry about that later anyway. I would suggest keeping the velocity stem, but you could equally sell it to help fund the replacement stem.

[edit - just noticed you don't have the original stem, these did have some rise, but were quite long generally. Don't rule out getting an original Velocity stem though until you know for sure that they didn't come in smaller sizes]

My personal hunch is that a 1991 used a 1" steerer tube

As long as you buy a 1 and 1/8th quill stem (clamps inside fork steerer) rather than an ahead-style stem (modern type that clamps aroudnd the fork steerer) you'll be fine.

Alternatively you can buy a quill adaptor that clamps into your fork steerer and will let you use a modern 1 and 1/8th ahead-style stem. In fact this last option will probably give you more choice over stem length and rise, and that's the route I'd go unless you are determined to get a retro stem.

Back