drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Frame: Reynolds 653 Magnum Lugged Handbuild

Fork: Rock Shox Judy XC '99

Headset: Cane Creek Alloy
Stem: Short Alloy Riser (unknown origin)
Handlebar: Oversize Alloy Riser (unknown origin)
Grips: Foam (with cork bit embedded)
Barends: None

Brakes: Magura Hydrostop Mountain
Brake Pads: Magura
Brake Levers: Magura Hydrostop Mountain

Shifters: XT 7 Speed Thumbies
Front Derailleur: XT Top Pull
Rear Derailleur: XTR Mid cage
Derailleur Cables: XT
Cassette: 12-28 XT
Chain: XT
Cranks: XT
Crank Bolts: XT
Chainrings: XT Superdrive
Chainring bolts: XT
Bottom Bracket: XT Cartridge Sealed
Pedals: Outbound Alloy Platforms

Hub Skewers: Tran-X
Rims: Wolber AT-20
Hubs: XT Sealed
Nipples: Stainless
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Michelin Wild Gripper Lites Kevlar
Tubes: Michelin

Saddle: WTB Speed-V
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: Tran-X

Weight: ~27lbs

Well it was until this afternoon now it is no more, It was really a bike I never wanted and has never had the use it deserves. My new Kona Kula arrives next week so I have put the forks, stem, handlebars, headset, wheels and rear mech on the wifes Trek 800. Not sure what to do with the rest.

Anyway pics before she was split:

DSC03593.jpg

DSC03594.jpg

DSC03595.jpg

DSC03596.jpg

DSC03597.jpg

DSC03598.jpg

DSC03600.jpg

DSC03599.jpg

Carl.

Did this originally come with Marzocchis and the Maguras as standard?

I just wonder as I did have a Claud Butler for a nanosecond off my old sponsor, but it was a tad too small. Cracking bike, just cant for the life of me remember the model :roll:

Not resprayed and most bit's are original. The forks were originally Marzocchis with oles drilled in the bottoms of the lowers but I read they were pretty poor so I had them swapped for Manitou 2's. The elastomers turned to mush and I couldn't get any more so I brought the Judys. I also had the short cage XT mech swapped for an XTR one. The Maguras were factory fitted and are pretty nice rim brakes.
This bike never really suited me though and it was just a bit too big so I never really wanted it.
What I would like is a retro Raleigh lightweight Thunder Road, Appalachian, Avanti or Ideally the Team rep from 1990 to use as a day to day commuter, where I can look after it and use my Kula for the trails.

Carl.

That's very cool...and a rare beast. I don't know of many frames made of 653 magnum either :cool:

I would love to see it with the original forks on though :)

Very nice CB, i don't recall seeing many 653 magnum tubed bikes either. If it were my bike i would try and get the front end back to original, or at least with period parts and keep it ;)

legrandefromage":3ofawgr6 said:
f**k me and I thought my lime green 531 CB was hard to find - if you ever fancy selling the frame....

I may do as I don't really have the room I will also be selling the hydrostops, XT front mech, Xt cranks, XT thumbies and original prestige flat bars (when I find them).

Carl.

Back