93 KONA LAVA DOME (NOW SINGLE SPEED/FIXIE CONVERSION)

lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
tadarr!

1z1hf90.jpg

collected this ebay purchase yesterday. it is in a poor state to be honest but is pretty original - a and b drive tyres, sugino chainset, impact headset etc. however it has been bought for a specific purpose so it isnt going to stay that way.

basically i wanted to reduce the weight of my 97 fire mountain (see link in my sig) without going to extremes. there is some decent stuff on the bike (i admit some tat as well). when i found this cinder cone i decided if my judy xc forks fit them i'm going to build the "best" bike i can using bits off both.

the build is looking like the following.

frame - 16"1993 lava dome. battered but not bent
fork - early rock shox judy xc
headset -NOS xt silver threaded. lovely piece of kit
bottom bracket - no doubt shimano cartridge, whatever i have that fits
stem - kona velocity without cable hanger
bars - probably ritchey risers off fire mountain
shifters - lx sti's
mechs - m739 xt
brakes - lx (i think) v's
pedals - single sided spd/platform jobbies
chainset - original 93 sugino
post - kona race lite
saddle - flite
grips - ritchey wcs foam
wheels - pace/goldtec hubs/ unknown mavic rims d/b spokes
tyres - onza porc reissues for now

last night i swapped the headset and forks but progress halted as i have lent the fire mountain to a friend for the weekend so i couldnt raid any parts.

i am hoping this will build into a fairly light, nimble bike

Hi. I'm afraid it's a Lava Dome, same frame as Cindercone but lower spec parts. 1993 Cindercone was silver/green. Great bike anyway, 1993 was the best Kona year in my opinion.

oops you are correct. i have edditted the original post! i have got cinder cone on the brain. i agree 93 was their finest hour

i've been busy in the shed with this little beastie.

plans changed a little at the last minute. i had sold my beloved kooka cranks but they came back as they were not a perfect matching pair (fair enough). i then tried to resell them but decided for what i'd get for them i may as well use them.

i am running them with 2 rings. mainly because it isnt particularly mountainous round here and partly because i hardly ever use the granny ring anyway. i'm so unfit that if a hill is that steep i'm walking anyway!

tho other notable changes from the spec above are the m739 sti's instead of the lx ones and i had to use a 735 xt rear mech as the 739 is 8 speed and wasnt working right.

there's nothing overly bling on this build and i think it all gells pretty well considering the onus has been on building a bike to ride rather than worrying about how it looks.

what do you lot think to it?

2daytqg.jpg

doh. classic case of "get it finished and take a picture!"

i'm not that tall

Is far as i know they only did the faded 2 tone paint in 93. If Yours is an 89 it should have splatter paint i think. Best thing to do is pm anthony he knows everyTHING about konas!

Back