Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:48 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:28 pm
Posts: 4179
Location: rutland
good point about the bars . i expect they will make the front of the bike more direct and you will want to attack harder . normally small rocks will leave you relaxing your arms , you will force your way along i reckon

let us know if you find the front wheel seems flexy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:57 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
meant to ask:

is there a reason you removed the Groovy decals from the bar but not the fork?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:35 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:59 pm
Posts: 20774
Location: Sol Kitts
perry wrote:
good point about the bars . i expect they will make the front of the bike more direct and you will want to attack harder . normally small rocks will leave you relaxing your arms , you will force your way along i reckon

let us know if you find the front wheel seems flexy


Will do, tyres are both 2.25's so should also take a bit of sting out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:39 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:59 pm
Posts: 20774
Location: Sol Kitts
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
meant to ask:

is there a reason you removed the Groovy decals from the bar but not the fork?


Rob the Groovys come supplied with decals to put on yourself, I've still got these in a bag somewhere. TBH I'm not keen on the 'Luv Handles' moniker I asked rody and he also sent some regular groovy decals but as you see neither are fitted at the moment. I'll put one set on at some time but I'm undecided at the moment. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:37 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
kaiser wrote:
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
meant to ask:

is there a reason you removed the Groovy decals from the bar but not the fork?


Rob the Groovys come supplied with decals to put on yourself, I've still got these in a bag somewhere. TBH I'm not keen on the 'Luv Handles' moniker I asked rody and he also sent some regular groovy decals but as you see neither are fitted at the moment. I'll put one set on at some time but I'm undecided at the moment. :)


ah, I see...

For this build, it looks better without the decals...was just wondering.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:24 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:59 pm
Posts: 20774
Location: Sol Kitts
Well had a first off roadish ride this morn. To say off road would be cheating a bit mostly man made paths but there is an interesting bombhole to play about in. I found that the bike seems very efficient, gives a good position on the bike for putting the power down and cruising, nice and comfy :) At the bomb hole it was easy rolling off the downs and was able to keep a neutral position without having to hang off the back, though on the ups finding a front rear balance to stop the front lifting or the back spinning was interesting, definitely a narrow band. I'd be interested in the original design A-C of the fork, just to see how different the groovy is. Speaking of the groovy and the front end in general it does seem slightly on the heavy side, lifting it takes a wee bit more effort but I guess thats to be expected from an all steel front end. On the plus side the rougher terrain did not seem to trouble it at all and it was a case of look where you want to go and the bike goes, seemed to stick quite well even if theres a slightly on top of the bike feel.

Anyway it was hardly a testing route, hopefully get a chance through the week to test it on a trail more suited :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:18 pm
Posts: 3186
Location: NFA
Fat chance? Never heard of em... :wink:

Glad its finally ridden! Do you think the front might be harder to lift cos of where the bars position the rider?

Looks very cool BTW 8) Id love a Fat but might have to part with a couple or 3 P7's... (never!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:23 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 am
Posts: 15608
Looks the dugs baws and even better on the flesh will this be a drum bike?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:37 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
fingers wrote:
Fat chance? Never heard of em... :wink:

Glad its finally ridden! Do you think the front might be harder to lift cos of where the bars position the rider?

Looks very cool BTW 8) Id love a Fat but might have to part with a couple or 3 P7's... (never!)


I would say that's part of it. With the luv bars, a longer stem puts you in a better position for getting the front up. The steel luv bars aren't light, and I can only imagine the same can be said for the fork, but position might have more to do with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:06 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:59 pm
Posts: 20774
Location: Sol Kitts
I'm not so sure, position should be good as I now measure all my bikes by top tube length and fit a stem which brings me into a sweet spot. The FAT's set up is bang in the middle. I realise this isn't the complete picture relating to geometry and handling but it gets me in the ballpark. I may have to start sizing the handhold position in relation to the front axle. I'll still hedge my bets though that its front end weight, I don't think the wheel is particullarly svelte either.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group