S Works Steel Hardtail

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well, after a few years not really riding much I have recently been obsessing again on bikes, and on a trip to the recycling centre nearby I found a frame that looked ok... on closer inspection I saw that it was an early Specialized S Works. If anyone could put a date on it that would be awesome, I have tried without luck so far. The price? Well the guy there said "well it has to be worth a fiver". Had £7 on me, so I just shoved that into his hand and did one! It has all XTR - cranks, front and rear mech, cantis and shifters. All parts seem in used but very good condition except aesthetics.

Here are some early pictures, I am getting the forks taken off from the LBS at the moment as the stem is stuck into them and it's not a job I can easily do (having soaked it for ages there is no movement so it was a choice between losing the stem of the forks).

Think I am going to set it up as a singlespeed but that depends on money situation etc. If anyone has any comments or recommendations I would love to hear them.

It is also getting stripped and sand blasted and resprayed, has a bit of pitting rust and I want to make it look like a beauty again. It has to be said thought that this frame is super lightweight and I can't wait to build it up properly.

First pictures from outside my shed (before it got cleaned and sorted out - that's mainly white grease on it not white paint marks, and sorry about the picture quality):

Here's the pics:

framefromfront.jpg

framefromside.jpg

swork.jpg

cockpit.jpg

possibly the only specialized other than an Ultimate that I would like to own. Think it was a 1992. and all for a fiver! Score.

Very good find.

I'd be keen on that saddle if you find something else more suited to yer bum!

Cheers,
BB.

what a find for £7!

I'd rebuild with the M900 you have there. Why ss it?

Year wise think it's 1992. I almost bought one then, they certainly came in that colour.

John":2or52m53 said:
what a find for £7!

I'd rebuild with the M900 you have there. Why ss it?

Year wise think it's 1992. I almost bought one then, they certainly came in that colour.

Just thought it might be a good hack single speed. May rethink that now.

Colour wise I can't decide what colour to do the respray. The off red/purple colour is awesome close up but it is too much to top up, will need redoing from scratch.

I love that colour. I think that is a close match to what i had in mind for my Orange.

Super bargain though, well done. I might just pitch up at the local tip on a sunday Morning and see what happens. A pocket full of change and few £5 notes :D

If you aren't specifically in love with the idea of an S-Works steel, then take the thing apart, sell the components individually, and frame and fork together. Use the money to assemble a proper singlespeed bike. Win Win, you get your singlespeed, and somebody with a true hankering for the S-Works gets their dream bike. :cool:

Unbelievably good find, reckon you've trumped the King of the Skip Monkeys there!

I appreciate that there are a few blemishes but why respray? Simply touch up/take care of any rust spots, build and ride.

Back