1997 Kona a'ha rebuilding in progress

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi guys,
I figured it about time to show off one of my pride'n'joys.
Only recently picked up this a'ha, I've loved them since 97 after seeing a Humu in the window of Kingston (Riverside) Cycles in the same paint scheme.
This one came fitted with a hotch potch of retro and semi-retro, but non original spec parts fitted as was apparently built up from new as a frame only.
Ive already changed the post, saddle & tyres and have plans for the stem, bar & crank. Infact after thinking about it, the only parts ill probably keep are the wheels (D521 rims on track hubs).
The frame is in fairly good shape, quite a few stone chips and the odd scrape but its mostly all there. Its been getting lots of use so could probably do with a clean. I love the tall gearing, I think its running a 42 or 44 up front. Not keen on the crank though, its a chunky BMX affair (ill add pics if you are keen to see?) Id love to fit an original crank but thats very unlikely to come up, anyone got any other ideas? bearing in mind its a BMX sized bottom bracket so all new to me...

Today I changed the deore V's over to a spanking set of Curve Control canti's. I spent hours cleaning them up and setting them correctly and im seriously loving the end result, they just look so darn right!
The best £30 mod i've ever made to a bike.

Let me know what you guys think, what do you reckon of the wildgrippers? Its a bit 'in your face' but theyre growing on me...

Attachments

• canti front.jpg
    canti front.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,146
  • canti back.jpg
    canti back.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,148
  • aha 1.jpg
    aha 1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,147
  • aha2.jpg
    aha2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,147
yeah, ive already enjoyed reading about your a'ha build.
I love orange!
Why dont you pay homage to the famous (infamous in your case) bars'n'stars paint scheme and add three or four stars around your head tube/top tube?....would look totally cool. :cool:

Unless anything happens to my paintwork then I couldnt bear to respray it, if I ever come across a tatty frame ill certainly buy it and build up my own custom a'ha though!

Back