1995 M800 Cannondale Beast of the East

J_Westy

Old School Hero
Just got back from a good ride, the sunlight was good for some photos, so here goes.

I have a strange affection for this bike... probably because it's one of the first nice things I bought; plus it really suits the tight, rocky, loggy single track I like to ride in Michigan. I started with a 1991 SM800 and got this replacement M800 frame in 1995 when my chainstays got tweaked. Over time, on both bikes, I upgraded parts as things wore out or broke, and sometimes just splurged as I drooled over the parts in the BikePro, Performance and Nashbar catalogs back in the day.

Some might even consider the BotE a VRC given its long run -- I do.

Frame: 1995 Beast of the East (with 1996+ rear drop outs)
Fork: Manitou Mach 5 SX Ti (Still have the Pepperoni in storage)
Rims: Ritchey Vantage Pro
Hubs: Deore M900 XTR
Tires: Panaracer Classic Smoke/Dart
Pedals: Shimano M737
Crank: Shimano Deore FC MT80 175mm 44/34/24 (Onza Buzz Saw inner)
Cogs: Deore XT 8-speed 11/28
BB: White Industries, stainless shaft
Front Derailleur: Deore LX M563
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT M735 Short Cage (Carmichael idler pulley)
Shifters: Grip Shift SRT-800 "X-Ray"
Handlebars: Answer Hyperlite (Control Tech bar ends... I think)
Stem: Control Tech
Headset: Tioga Alchemy
Brakeset: Ritchey Logic (Ringle Mojo cable hangers)
Brake Levers: Ritchey Logic
Seatpost: SR Tall Cool One 400mm
Seat: Contemporary Serfas for my old posterior that couldn't take the Ritchey Logic anymore ;)

P1100125.jpg

P1100138.jpg

P1100143.jpg

P1100136.jpg

P1100137.jpg

P1100132.jpg

P1100131.jpg

P1100139.jpg

P1100142.jpg

P1100133.jpg

P1100130.jpg

P1100128.jpg

P1100126.jpg

P1100127.jpg

P1100134.jpg

P1100129.jpg

P1100141.jpg

P1100135.jpg

Love the frame! I'd like to find a clean late model Beast for trail work. The cantilevered drops on mine make me sketchy about trail riding with it. :cool:

Dig the Onza Buzz Saw chainring too...those and Sakae Ninjas were the shizzle in the day. :cool:

Dump the fork and bar ends. :p

Nice Bike!

stoner":ziq1krib said:
Very nice Beast... :) Jurys still out on them barends though. :?

Welcome to the forum...

Thanks for the welcome.

I chose the long bar ends back-in-the-day so they wouldn't hook on trees as easily on tight single track.

mattbrown":ziq1krib said:
those forks look a bit too long for the frame...

Certainly this frame wasn't designed for a suspension fork, but I think the "too long" look is mostly an illusion -- the BotE has a high 13" bottom-bracket height to begin with. There's not much out there that would be any shorter... is there?

J_Westy":niico837 said:
Certainly this frame wasn't designed for a suspension fork, but I think the "too long" look is mostly an illusion -- the BotE has a high 13" bottom-bracket height to begin with. There's not much out there that would be any shorter... is there?

I'd use the rigid Pepperoni that came with it...especially if you still have it! :cool:

utahdog2003":2ams9g89 said:
I'd use the rigid Pepperoni that came with it...especially if you still have it! :cool:

Thanks for the comments guys.

This is a rider and I'm all about function for my terrain versus looks

I can climb better with the barends so they're staying :LOL:

I do have the Pepperoni's, but I can descend rocky, rutted, rooted trails faster with the old Manitous and I can't afford a Talas. The bike is still better than I am :D

cool beast...I like the barends, especially wrapped the way you have it. People laugh at me for wrapping my ends, but it just feels right.

Back