1988 Peugeot Cannonball Express FULLY RESTORED IN 2008

dusty_roads

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
This bicycle started out as a 1988 Peugeot Cannonball Experss. In 1988 it was the second from the top offering by Peugeot and was equipped with Shimano Deore XT components and 21 speeds. Over these last 20 years it has been upgraded to 24 speeds and then to 27 speeds. The original Biopace cranks have been replaced. The bike now has its third bottom bracket, its third paint job, its second set of wheels, its fifth cassette and chain. Every day it still goes out for two hours weather permitting, I wouldn't want to get it wet. :shock: The new paint job was done by BCP Special Paintwork, Den Haag, in 2008.

So why continue to upgrade and ride the old bike? The frame is lugged, with double-butted steel tubing, and was made in Japan. In 1988, Japan was the source of quality work and not Taiwan.

1988PeugotCannonballExpress-1.jpg

Cumberland Island, Georgia, 1988

1988PeugotCannonballExpress-2.jpg

Cumberland Island, Georgia, 1988

1988PeugotCannonballExpress-3.jpg

Kibbutz Ein Gedi, Israel, 1989

1988PeugotCannonballExpress-4.jpg

Highway 40 Hare Govay, Israel 2000

1988PeugotCannonballExpress-5.jpg

Haluqim Canyon, Israel, 2000

1988PeugotCannonballExpress-6.jpg

New Paint And Upgrade 1, Amsterdam 2008

1988PeugotCannonballExpress-7.jpg

New Paint And Upgrade 2, Amsterdam 2008

1988PeugotCannonballExpress-8.jpg

New Paint And Upgrade 3, Amsterdam 2008

D.R.

Hi,

See you made the change from mountainbike.nl to here! GREAT! Do you already know what your Cannondale is worth?

Casper

MynameisCasper":30gtesgr said:
Hi,

See you made the change from mountainbike.nl to here! GREAT! Do you already know what your Cannondale is worth?

Casper

Yeah, Hi, I did get a good idea about the current value. Seems like about +-700 euros is the best estimate. So I know enough to keep it in good condition and ride it until the end. I am getting too old to justify the purchase of another high tech fully. So this bike is just good enough in all the departments to get me comfortably around the desert. I did take your advice and post it in the thread "What is my XYZ worth." It is on the bottom half of page 59. I didn't get a big reaction. It seems like Cannondales were not so popular in the British Isles as these guys had their own brands.

D.R.

That's really a very nice frame. :cool:

Lugged, Japanese, late eighties: ticks all the boxes for me. Do you know what the tubeset is [i.e. which manufacturer made the steel]?

Sweet ride, like the new paint job...

Classy new paint job - looks good!

doctor-bond":2pk09o62 said:
That's really a very nice frame. :cool: Lugged, Japanese, late eighties: ticks all the boxes for me. Do you know what the tubeset is [i.e. which manufacturer made the steel]?

Thanks very much for all the compliments. As for the frame metal, I am pretty sure that it is Reynolds 531 double-butted as best I remember. I could be wrong about the number but this is close.

love the bike and esp the pictorial record- great to see so history with a bike- must have been cold camping in Isreal- did it a few times when I was in the negev '94.

I really like seeing these older bikes. It's interesting to see the little details that didn't evolve. On this one, are the braze ons for the shoulder pad a Peugeot specific feature?

Back