1993(?) GT RTS - New Shox

cagiva gezzer

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all!

Found this forum while trying to find out some information on Risse shocks.

26 from the Herts / Beds / Bucks borders and i've had this bike in various builds since i was ~15. It's been stolen once, used as a hack at Uni for two years, spent 6 months as a station commute bike.

Some picks following a recent full rebuild.

It's pleasing to see so many RTS still in use! My last conversation with BETD was slightly worrying as it sounded like i was the only one still buying rocker kits.

Oh, and apologies for the purists out there. It's my weekly ride and it's made up of bits as and when other bits break / wear out. It's a testament to the design of the late 90's parts. The majority of the parts came off of a GT Bravado which died from chain-suck.

DSC00852.jpg

DSC00855.jpg

DSC00856.jpg

DSC00857.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00859.jpg

DSC00861.jpg

DSC00862.jpg

DSC00863.jpg

DSC00864.jpg

DSC00865.jpg

DSC00868.jpg

DSC00869.jpg

DSC00875.jpg

Frame: 93 GT RTS 3 - I'm saying 93, but if anyone knows frame numbers i'll double check. Steel rear end without pivots. Came with a piggy-back noleen.

Fork: 98 Rock Shox Judy XL 100mm - Modified to have ~15mm negative travel using parts from the original RS Mag 10s.

Shock: Risse Racing Genesis Air/Oil unit. Claimed 3"

Headset: Hope
Stem: Kore
Handlebar: Easton EA50
Grips: YETI ODI
Barends: n/a

Brakes: 98 XTR V (F) / 98 XT V (R)
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Goodridge
Brake Levers: 98 XT Combi units

Shifters: 98 XT Combi units
Front Derailleur: 09 LX
Rear Derailleur: 98 XT
Derailleur Cables: Goodridge
Cassette: XT 8 Speed
Chain: Sachs
Cranks: LX
Chainrings: 24T Blackdiamond Chuck ring / 34&44T Middleburn Hardcoat Slickshift
Bottom Bracket: UN72
Pedals: Shimano SPD

Hub Skewers: Hope SS
Rims: Spin
Hubs: Spin
Nipples: Nippleless
Spokes: 6 off
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 Kevlar
Tubes: Maxxis Fly Weight

Saddle: WTB SST XR
Seatpost: Titec XC Pro
Seatpost Binder: Hope

I'll ride it through the summer and then it'll get a proper polish and lacquer over the winter.

As for the questions about the rear shock. Well worth the £100 i paid and i'd even say i wouldn't be miffed if i bought a mew one from the usa for £200. It's transformed the bike. Not sure if this was due to my noleen unit being dead, or if this Risse one is good.

Either way, controlled, quite & active. The only problem is that it's shown up the Judys and i'm considering snapping up some new forks while they still make 'canti mounts. :?

Spin Wheels - I've always wanted these ever since i saw them in the old Carrati (sp?) catalogue. £700/pr and i was on £7/wk paper round money. Picked them up on ebay last year for £175/pr. They get looks, they're smooth on the hubs and don't sound too bad / hollow over bumps.

Three problems though. 1) You spend half of the ride looking down at them spinning away underneath you and you ride into trees. 2) They're not round. . . . They oval (commonly reported issue from brand new) and give odd vibrations on flat roads. 3) Heavy for XC.

nice! :D

not sure about the Triple clamps though... have seen another RTS on here with modernish Fox forks.... they might suit? or perhaps a 100mm reba or similar if they have canti mounts still?

and glad to see the Risse shock went to a good home! ( i also bid on it! )
i shall have one... one day!
for now ill have to make do with modifying my piggyback noleen with an Air Valve.. ala RC300 :LOL:

do BETD still have spares then? as they dont have anything listed on their site in the RTS section.. :(

That is lovely!! We will have to get a RTS gathering soon?? :cool:

do BETD still have spares then? as they dont have anything listed on their site in the RTS section..

Id be interested in that answer as I to had a look see the RTS section empty and moved on :?

Hi lovely bike. There's a thread full of rts's in the retro mtb section- make sure you add to it. I'd love a set of spins! Welcome to the forum

Just re read you post properly. After you repolish the frame resist the lacquer. It will seal in the shine for a while but it will mean that in the future you won't be able to repolish it without removing the lacquer. Moisture will eventually get under the clear coat (i'm calling it that from now because i'm not sure i'm spelling lacquer right) and when it does it'll look horrible. Don't do it!

I phoned up BETD and they said they had no spares left -
That must have been nearly a year ago now...

BETD It did take me a while to get the parts from them. The older guy was on holiday and the younger bloke didn't really know what i was on about. Rocker bearings were ~£4ea and in stock. This was 3 months ago. Just call them up.

Triple Clamps Not really on there by choice. :LOL: It used to run MAG 10s but i snapped the brace on Aston Hill. This must have been at the end of the 98 season and the Judys were being sold off new at £200 (RRP £549) due to the bombers being far superior that season.

4" Fox forks or some RS forks have been considered and will probably be stiffer than the current set up.

It's a great bike as it splits people. Some love it and know what it is, some just think it's a shiny piece of junk.

Well, after reading your initial post about it being stolen once, then used as a 'hack bike' for a while, I wasn't expecting much. Then I scrolled down....

:shock: :shock: What an awsome looking RTS!!! I love the triple-clamp forks & I love the Spins (I'm biased on the Spins though as I run a pair myself), you'll definitely split the forum members with the wheels, just you wait.

Thanks for posting up such a great set of pics, that's one of the nicest suprises I've had recently with members bikes. Top stuff.

Back