1992 Specialized S-Works M2

killjoyken

Retro Newbie
Well, after almost 20 years my friend convinced me to try mountain biking again. And since I've still got my old 88 Stumpy frame hanging in my garage I started looking on craigslist for some parts. I happened to stumble across an ad for a $50 mountain bike and when I clicked on the link, the description read "s works manitou" so I gave the guy a call. It was an older guy who said the bike belonged to his son in law but they were moving and wanted to get rid of it. After having him measure the frame and read off some labels I drove 100 miles to take a look.

Here's what I found (after I took it home, scrubbed off years of dirt and spiderwebs, and replaced the flat road tires with new Kendas):

DSCF4275.jpg

Frame: 17" 1992 Specialized S-Works M2

Fork: Manitou SX

Headset: 1" Aheadset
Stem: Kore
Handlebar: Hyperlite
Grips: Nasty rotten Yetis replaced with new Yetis
Barends: Answer Hyper Ends

Brakes: XT
Brake Pads: XT
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: XT

Shifters: XT
Front Derailleur: XT
Rear Derailleur: XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Sram 8 speed
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Topline 175mm
Chainrings: Shimano SG
Pedals: XT SPD

Hub Skewers: unknown
Rims: Sun Mistral (super narrow)
Hubs: Pulstar
Nipples: purple
Spokes: unknown
Tyres: Kenda Small block eights
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost: Ringle
Seatpost Binder: Flight Control

Weight: was 23 lbs with flat road tires

The paint is chipped just about everywhere but there's not a single dent or crack to be found. The rims spin true and the fork seems to work fine. I've never ridden a bike with suspension before so I'm not quite sure to expect. All I know is that this bike brings back memories of the bikes I could never afford when I was a teenager.

I replaced the saddle (which was worse than sitting on a jagged rock) with a WTB Speed V, stripped the purple/pink anodizing off the bar and seatpost, threw some new brake pads on and gave her a general tune up. I can't wait to go riding again. :D

Any info you guys might have on this model would be much appreciated since I can't seem to find much on the 1992 year. Thanks in advance!

More pics:

DSCF4276.jpg

DSCF4277.jpg

DSCF4279.jpg

DSCF4280.jpg

DSCF4283.jpg

DSCF4286.jpg

M2

Hi killjoyken.
What a find! $50 :shock:
Great spec machine for triple that money. Should be a great ride, just check the forks as they might need a service if theyve sat round that long. The Manitous are good quality forks so a service of oil and seals should be all thats required.
Happy trails :D

Jamie

killjoyken":3u5ww6bp said:
Hub Skewers: unknown

Seatpost Binder: unknown

QRs are pauls.
seat QR looks like control tech.
nice find for the price.

polish the faded silver & bars to silver.

Thanks guys. So what cage is it? I don't recognize it.

I've already de-anodized and polished the seat post and bar. It took off the risers since I don't plan on using them. (trying to keep the bike light)

Anyone know what year the forks are? And can I still get parts to service it?

Also is it possible to get re-pro stickers in case I decide to paint it?

I've got two more questions I hope you guys can answer.

Did this bike originally come with thumbies and a 7 speed cassette?

Did it come with cantilevers or v-brakes?

I've been riding this bike a little and it's nice, but definitely needs new cables and the right cassette. The 11 tooth gear is so close to the frame that it will lock up if I even think about engaging it. :roll:

killjoyken":2j7xg69a said:
I've got two more questions I hope you guys can answer.

Did this bike originally come with thumbies and a 7 speed cassette?

Did it come with cantilevers or v-brakes?

If it was equipped with Suntour parts, it came with thumbies. If it was
Shimano equipped, I'd guess it was equipped with Rapid Fire.
If it had XTR, it had 8 speed cassette but if it had XT, it had 7 speed one.

Sadly I don't know what parts were used for your model. But a M2 FS Team Edition was equipped with Suntour XC Pro and Future Shock fork.

It's certain your bike came with cantilevers. V-brakes arrived in 1996.

nice find.

I was going to comment on the qr's but scant beat me to it...good eye, scant. Those alone should fetch you some loot.

The bottle cage is a Ringle H2O.

Rid yourself of the handle bars all together, as they will most likely snap on you at the worst possible moment.
While you're at it the manitou sx fork was rubbish as well.

Love the M2 though, and yours, with its cool parts, was a steal at 50....despite the throw away parts.

Back