'94 Chas Robert DOGSBOLX

militiacore

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
My 15 year old ride with a few updated bits but of the old stuff still functions very well including the drivechain.

db4.jpg

db3.jpg

Spec from memory:

Chas Roberts DOGS BOLX Custom Build Frame
Marzocchi MX Pro ETA Forks, 1 inch - fitted 2 days ago
Cane Creek S2 Aheadset - fitted 2 days ago
Race Face Evolve Aheadset 70mm XC Stem
Race Face Evolve DH 1.5" Riser Bars
Sachs 500R? Gripshift
Race Face Good/Evil Grips
Deore Brake Levers
Avid Single Digit 7 V-Brakes
Flite TransAm Titanium Saddle
USE Aluminium Seatpost
Cooks Bros 175mm Cranks
Pace Rings 24/34/48
Zero BB
Suntour Road Front Mech
Sachs Success Rear Mech
XT 8 Speed Cassette
Sachs Chain
Spectrum Racing Prototype Hubs
Ringle Titanium Skewers
FIR Rims
Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 - fitted today
Shimano M520 SPD Pedals

Weighs in around 25lbs.

Bit of a mish mash of components but will gradually upgrade and see if I can get a Disk Mount brazed onto the rear stay when it goes in for new paint.

My old Specialized FutureShocks pretty much died on me so took a while to find a replacement that would fit the 1" steerer. Gave up on iffy ebay offerings and decided to bite the bullet and go for some new Marzocchi Forks and update the Stem, Bar and Brakes as my Magura Race Lines had seen better days.

Tried out the forks today and they seem plush enough. Definately notice the geometry change though through slower, technical stuff and climbs but the ETA 30mm lockout does a good job of bringing the geometry back down to normal. I guess this shows up it's age but for the rough stuff they work well enough.

dogs

That looks great, really nice paint job. Fit for purpose judging by the spec.
Lucky man
Jamie

you should be able to convert those forks to 80mm travel instead of 100

on an old-skool bike like this it'll handle much better that way

I was thinking that - lovely bike, but steering must be a bit odd with all that height in the forks?

orange71":3dtwjskx said:
I was thinking that - lovely bike, but steering must be a bit odd with all that height in the forks?

It's only noticable uphill and on slower technical sections but the ETA lockout drops the forks down and limits travel to 30mm which conpensates for that.

On flat and downhill there no really issue and as there's 25mm of sag it sits a little lower then the photo's when riding. Will look into the 85mm conversion though.

Back