1993 Saracen Sahara Elite

Hi everybody. This is my first post -- hope you don't mind me just bursting in here and flashing my photos around! :)

Back in 1993, my 21st b'day present was a Saracen Sahara Elite. During the summers of my early twenties, I was never off the thing; I would take it up to my local range of hills (the South Downs) at every opportunity. Then in my mid- to late-twenties, I stopped riding so much and started going to the gym instead. Seven years ago, I moved to the north-east of England (Teesside) and during which, my poor old Saracen was put into a big polythene bag and kept in the attic.

It was only when I moved back to Sussex at the end of last year, that I pulled my old hill-climbing companion out of its polythene bag and took a good look at it... :(

3618827351_a174bccc57_b.jpg

3618827353_b2d12e9ae8.jpg

3618827357_4a8dc80d27.jpg

3618827373_fd2f19e38c.jpg

I think the word I'm looking for here is "neglect". :oops:

Once the shock had subsided, I resolved to restore my trusty Sahara back to the best condition I could. First thing to do, strip the bike of everything that my tools would permit me to remove/replace:

3618827359_ea3c4a6fc7_b.jpg

Looking much better after a bucket of soapy warm water and some 'Brasso' -- especially around the crankcase and the top of the forks...

3618827367_b4f28e35e1_b.jpg

Since these were taken, I've cleaned up the wheels and tyres, the 7-speed cassette and the chainset. The freehub has been blitzed with some WD-40 and when rotated, now 'ticks' like it did on the day it was bought.

I'll have to take some more pictures of the cleaned up components and post them here.

The remaining "to-do" list for this bike isn't too long. I do have to decide whether to replace the wires within the gear and brake cables and whether to clean up the existing chain or replace it. Even if I do replace the chain and the inner-cables, the only other thing that won't be original is the longer seat-post that I bought within a few days of being given the bike (quite a necessity with a 16.5" frame).

Anyway, I hope that Saracen fans are pleased to know that a '93 Sahara Elite will shortly be back on the trails... :)

a nice tale for a friday- good work and starting to look very nice- looking forward to the after piccies. Do the front forks still work?

clockworkgazz":1b3b7pfl said:
a nice tale for a friday- good work and starting to look very nice- looking forward to the after piccies. Do the front forks still work?
Thank you, Clockworkgazz!

I changed the elastomers in the front forks sometime in the late nineties. As things stand, when I use my hands to 'squash' the forks they seem to work fine... although compressing the forks with my hands isn't the same as riding on them, so I'll have to test them properly once the bike is complete and back on the road. If the news is bad, I'm not sure how easy it will be to find replacement elastomers.

Plan 'B' is to fit some Marzocchi Bombers that were given to me by a friend.

i have a set of these forks if you want them as spares. definately need new elastomers though. free to a good home

clockworkgazz":y1h1ygkk said:
as a plan b the bombers sound cool- prob a bit more bounce and a shade lighter?
Probably a bit more bounce, but I'm not so sure about being any lighter -- the Bombers look considerably more chunky than the factory-fit Saracen forks...

3621269083_2d6fce8dbe_b.jpg

Also, the crown-to-axle distance is a little longer on the Marzocchi's, so I'm not sure how much I'd feel that when riding. Still, it's not going to cost me much to do some experimenting! :)

lewis1641":6go7j2md said:
i have a set of these forks if you want them as spares. definately need new elastomers though. free to a good home
Thanks Lewis, that's a fantastic offer. My own set of those forks seems to be working okay, but if I ride them and find that they're ****ed, I'll remember your kind offer! :)

Sweet story John! Get her back out on the Downs!

If you want to sell the Marzocchi's let me know :)

BTW the freehub will need re-greasing after the flushing with WD40, or at least re-lube it with a heavier oil (even engine oil works). I got the tools to do this and am local so don't mind lending a hand :)

Back