Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:08 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:27 pm 
Old School Hero

had to buy the lavadome as its the bike I was buying from my local shop when I was 16 but I lost my job and had to cancell my deposit.

Never actually thought I would get one, had the Koa in the pictures above which was lovely and lighter but I prefer the 94/95/96 decals.

There is just something about the chunky square lettering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:11 pm 
Old School Hero

yeah maybe a little. I think it woudl sell for around 2-300 It looks like it is in very good nick,

If it wasn'y abroad then it would be more appealing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The Lava Dome was very cheap indeed at £132. The burnt orange colour of the 96 frames is one of the most sought-after. The highest price I have seen for one was £410, but even though that was exceptional I would have expected this one to make £200 at least. I guess it wasn't well sold, and the wheels and tyres look a bit dicey, but even so Wadsy if you're going to drop out of the bidding below £132, I don't think you're ever going to find one within your budget my friend.

The 96 Kilauea in Germany is a size 16, which is going to take a chunk out of its value. A size 16 94 Kilauea just sold for £255 on UK eBay - good condition, one lady owner, but some kit issues. I would have estimated over £300 if it had been a size 18, so maybe the £255 just reflects the lower demand for size 16 frames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:17 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

Anthony wrote:
The Lava Dome was very cheap indeed at £132. The burnt orange colour of the 96 frames is one of the most sought-after. The highest price I have seen for one was £410, but even though that was exceptional I would have expected this one to make £200 at least. I guess it wasn't well sold, and the wheels and tyres look a bit dicey, but even so Wadsy if you're going to drop out of the bidding below £132, I don't think you're ever going to find one within your budget my friend.

The 96 Kilauea in Germany is a size 16, which is going to take a chunk out of its value. A size 16 94 Kilauea just sold for £255 on UK eBay - good condition, one lady owner, but some kit issues. I would have estimated over £300 if it had been a size 18, so maybe the £255 just reflects the lower demand for size 16 frames.

That's interesting, thanks for that. It just goes to show how in demand these old Konas are. I just bid what I thought an old Lava dome might be worth and obviously got it wrong and I'm learning as I go! The hunt, with a higher budget continues! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:24 pm 
Old School Hero

yeah I bid £350 expecting to have to go higher but I was gobsmacked when I got it for £132.

I was not letting it go!

Your right though the mud guards and reflectors and bar ends don't make the bike look racy. The seller could have made it look a lot better and got a lot more money for it.

I can't wait to pick it up tommmorow, I will post better pics when I have removed the dodgy bits!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:27 pm 
Old School Hero

keep saving and watching the auction watch.

One day the right one will appear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 pm 
Old School Hero

once I have taken all the above dodgy bits off, it should look something like this

Then I want the older charcol grey XTR kit, a thompson stem and new bars and eventually some crossmax or cross rides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:39 pm 
Old School Hero

don't suppose anyone knows what size seat post I need?

I want a blue ringle or use or something

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:47 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Monkeeee01 wrote:
don't suppose anyone knows what size seat post I need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:18 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

hang your KULA frame on the wall in your shed/garage and leave there for prosperity and for the sake of 'art' .

good luck with your other build - keep the Kona's alive!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next