Spooky Supertouch Cyclo-Cross (New old pictures!)

AtomicAtom

Retro Guru
Where to begin. I have always been a huge fan of what Spooky Cycles has done. As a kid I was at the races drooling over their too-cool-for-school frames, bikes, and riders. All I could afford was the t-shirts, which I still have many of. When I was a bit older and had better funds I searched my little heart out to find a used Spooky but found none on the market at the time (early 2000s). Eventually I found a used Supertouch cross frame and bought it as quick as I could. I was aware this bike existed but hadn't actually ever seen one. I decided to turn it into my fixed gear commuter bike (this was before having a fixed gear was a trend). I built it up with the help of Harris cyclery in Boston, Massachusetts. I walked in and they had my wheelset hanging on the wall. White Industries Eno with red ano Mavic MA-3 rims. I set it up as a flip flop so I could do a little off road coasting. It has gone through many conversions over the years, mainly staying a singlespeed for it's early lie with me. Last year someone here in New York City stole my rear wheel because they knew what it was and that it was worth something. The only other wheel I had was a Shimano Nexus 7 speed internally geared behemoth. I set that up and rode it all Winter long with good result. Recently I came across a new wheelset for it, a used and inexpensive set of Mavic Heliums. It had been used as a cross wheelset and that is exactly what I have built the bike up for now. Well, I have a larger front chainring for now in order to commute on it as needed. This has been my main commuter bike since I bought it and has been a trusty companion in all weather and terrains. Without further ado, here is my Spooky Supertouch cross bike as I have it built now.

3600008798_0d224204ac_b.jpg

In all it's red anodized glory!

3599198927_bd1754f163_b.jpg

The new drivetrain. The Race Face crank has been on it for several years now, but the addition of the Paul rear der. is a crowning acheivement. I got it on another classified about 10 years ago for pennies because the previous owner had bent it a little and hadn't gotten it to really work right. So without ever trying to set it up I hung it from my rear view in the car for a few years. For this incarnation of the Spooky I figure I'd try it out and see if the slight bend in the cage would be an issue. As it turns out the cage isn't bent to much that it goes into the spokes and I was able to get it to shift reasonably well! I added a 42 tooth Sugino ring. I have a 34t Race Face for when I want to take it off road.

3600009940_e308ff526d.jpg

Crank close up.

3600012408_acee332619.jpg

Some nice dings and scuffs on the der. The pulley bolt heads are mighty stripped but the pulleys themselves spin smoothly and are relatively new.

3599200295_2fc426ccc4_b.jpg

Here is the front end, with 1" Kinesis aluminum cross fork (custom spooky decals), handlebar off a Bianchi Milano, XT rapidfire lever combo, and Paul E-Lever doing front duty on a Paul Neo-Retro. Add in a King no logo Nothreadset and a Kore Elite stem from back in the day and I'm golden! Pedro's lock on grips. I have no head tube or downtube decals at the moment but got some new ones when visiting the new Spooky headquarters in Massachusetts a few months back (Spooky has re-opened it's doors after a several year hiatus).

3599202755_15424ab94a_b.jpg

The paint is very scratched up and has lost any luster it once had. Same with the fork, it seems to have lost any type of shine years ago.

3599201399_f41586fd14.jpg

Detail of headset.

3600013174_2541f2f4da.jpg

Detail of Unicrown and downtube gusset.

3600012746_515e462726.jpg

Original sticker on downtube, and obvious paint wear.

3600012054_caa0e15c4a.jpg

Here is where there should be a rear canti but the current shifter combo doesn't allow it. I'm hoping to add original red Paul Love levers and a shifter pod instead of the combo to make this more true to form.

3599203673_7e8a682889.jpg

Finally we have the serial number on the bb shell. When I was at the new Spooky headquarters I talked to them about this bike and they told me that only 12 of these were ever made! They had manufacturing issues of some sort. Maybe Mickey can chime in here and tell us all a bit more about the frame building process (pretty sure he is on here somewhere). I have run into several old Spooky employees while riding this bike around New York City and it has been confirmed that FTW was not involved in welding this particular frame.

I'd be glad to answer any questions anyone has about it or it's past incarnations. I know this isn't exactly a mountain bike but the parts list on here seemed appropriate for this thread. If the Mods feel like moving it go ahead.

Cheers,
Atom

Nice story, nice bike, nice bell :)

The only thing I'd change is the Kore stem. It's too oversized for the frame and makes the front look heavy. All imho :)

I dont mind saying that is lovely. For me the fact it isnt an immaculate squeeqy clean show queen just adds to the allure

I love CX bikes... they're just so versatile IMO.

How does it ride with the current bar setup? I've only every ridden a cx bike with drop bars, so I'm unaware of advantages or disadvantages of your setup.

PS Imperfections are expected on something of that elk. I wouldn't worry too much!

great story and a nice evolution, looking forward to updates :)

I've since updated the Spooky with a new seatpost and stem. A silver Race Face Deus XC with a significant layback. It's buitl like the old xyz post. In the front is a 1" threadless 150mm Control Tech. I'll get some pics soon.

The Milano bar is quite nice, it allows a comfortable wrist position when riding it as a commuter. Since I often don't have time to accelerate to quickly and have a heavy messenger bag on, it pay to be more upright than bent over on a drop bar. I am sure I have tons of pictures of this bike in it's diferent incarnations. I will post more as I find them.

Current Spec Sheet.

Frame: Spooky Supertouch CycloCross 1 of 12 made in the 90s

Fork: Kenises Cross

Headset: Chris King 1"
Stem: Control Tech
Handlebar: Bianchi Milano
Grips: Pedros

Brakes: Paul neo-retro front, Avid v rear
Brake Levers: Paul E-lever front, XT rear

Shifters: XT rapidfire
Rear Derailleur: Paul
Cassette: Sram
Chain: Sram
Cranks: Race Face Turbine LP
Chainring: Sugino
Bottom Bracket: UN-72
Pedals: flats

Hub Skewers: Locking
Rims: Mavic Helium
Hubs: Mavic Helium
Nipples: Mavic Helium
Spokes: Mavic Helium
Tyres: Specialized Armadillo

Saddle: Coda
Seatpost: Race Face Deus layback
Seatpost Binder: Spooky

Weight: Was 24lbs with the old Nexus 7 speed hub set up. Don't know now.

Original set up!

I just found some scanned film from the very first photo shoot I did after building up the Supertouch! This bike was really special to me right from the start. The first incarnation was set up as a fixed gear/ single speed. I'll just post some shots for now, later I'll post a more recent set of pictures I found also.

3681207290_4004a83849_b.jpg

3680392951_cc3530cb9b.jpg
3681207028_0da67a0ce0.jpg

3680393233_c6ec49b692.jpg
3680393107_3930b4454b.jpg

Those last pictures made me feel like I was 17 again!

We really only did make 12 of those back in '96 (Finally shipped a few in '97)

mickey@spooky":2q46zxu2 said:
Those last pictures made me feel like I was 17 again!

We really only did make 12 of those back in '96 (Finally shipped a few in '97)

Notice the make shift cable stop on the front wheel. I erector setted it together when none of my local shops seemed to understand what a steerer tube mounted cable stops even were in 2001. I'd love to know where some of the other Supertouches went, any idea Mickey?

Latest posts

Back