Raleigh Single Speed

Jamis Diablo

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I just picked this up this afternoon, it's a Raleigh with no type name on the frame.
It's a Reynolds 501 frame with Suntour parts (3x6).

It rides o.k. now, but really needs some TLC. I see a lot of part I don't know and therefor I have some questions about this bike:

- what type is it?
- what year?
- what can you compare to this Suntour gear (Shimano 500LX?)
- the wheels are Marvelle, is this any good?

Thanks for your answers.

pbpic3501410.jpg

pbpic3501385.jpg

pbpic3501379.jpg

pbpic3501388.jpg

Reynolds is the frame tubing,
Tange also made tubing but not yours

It say on the crank
SR Sakae SX, has been the second largest manufacturer of cranks for a long time, no idea where they are now in the rankings.

It's old (pre 1990 ?) from the crank I would date it around '87/'88 using this[1]
and suntour alpha was bottom end stuff I think

[1]http://www.mombat.org/Timeline.htm

It's a Montage - 88 or 89 (the 87 one had a U-brake).

It was the top of the 'normal' range, bikes above it came from the Lightweight Division.

Thanks for the info!
No top notch then... but quit nice imo.
Nice to have a pre '90 bike with Suntour parts and it still rides without any lubrication or cleaning, everything is still original and working.
I will take it apart for a good clean and look if i can get it powdercoated in the original color and use it as a bike-to-work.

Cool, this was my first MTB I ever owned :D

Think mine was an 88 model but still had the u brake down on the chainstays

This was my first bike!!!!

I loved it, especially the colour, I'm sure it was called COOL MINT... also I used to show off the oval tech ring to everyone thought it was super science stuff!

Dosnt look in that bad of nick mate

Thanks for the memory!

Yes, I saw yours, there is another one I saw a few days after mine.
Yours is looking better, my paint isn't that good, so I'm stripping it at the moment. I'm getting it powdercoated in white and thinking about some more classic decals. Don't like the original ones much.

Jamis Diablo":1j4pqk43 said:
Yes, I saw yours, there is another one I saw a few days after mine.
Yours is looking better, my paint isn't that good, so I'm stripping it at the moment. I'm getting it powdercoated in white and thinking about some more classic decals. Don't like the original ones much.

i love my originals... im thinking of gettin em replicated now while they are still good ready for when it will enivitably get rebuilt

Back