AMP Research B-3 back from the grave! (Completed Build!)

AtomicAtom

Retro Guru
UDATED: Images and spec sheet a few entries down!!!

This was my xc race bike back in the late 90s. Since they only made these until 97 I am assuming this one was made sometime before that. I found it in this condition underneath my stairs in my pile-o-bikes. A friend of mine had gotten this frame as a warranty replacement and sold it to me for a few hundred $$$.

3577019521_962279aa48_b.jpg

3577825006_c252c17a04.jpg

3577020065_b996f60755.jpg

I had put way to many stickers on the thing. Even going so far as to get some Spooky stickers and make everyone believe it was. I decided to make things right (well mostly). So I stripped the stickers amd used some good 'ol metal polish to bring that dull sheen to a lovely shine.

3577020415_5882e7ef86_b.jpg

I didn't have new bearings but the old ones were cleanable. Although I couldn't seem to remove the chainstays as the pivot by the bottom bracket seemed a bit stuck in there. Oh well. It works fine after a bit of lube.

3577020603_fc08b11486.jpg

3577826312_6fa0c13149.jpg

The components consist of Race Face headset and bb, pretty sure it's not the ti one.. Thomson post, and the addition of old Tioga stem and Race Face air alloy bar. I had this built up with most of what I have now on the Voodoo Bizango. I haven't ridden full suspension in a long time so I figured I'd give it another shot. The rear Risse Astro 5 seems to hold air still. The Superfly bomber, with the terribly placed air valves, also mostly holds it's air (I think one leg might be a bit leaky).

3577826800_d6f8b2043b_b.jpg

3577827126_83ea29fcd1_b.jpg

One issue, when I got rid of the awful stock rear shock and installed the Astro 5 the shock mount contacts the frame at the seat tube. There is a slight mark from this and you can hear a slight audible clunk when riding and the shock rebounds sometimes. It didn't seem to have done anything structurally to the frame. Can I do anything about this? Anyone with a similar issue? Where are the B-3 owners out there?

Sorry to be sticker-incorrect but I'm leaving the Spooky stickers on for now. I was/am still obsessed with that company and haven't been able to find those red stickers again (I've visited the new Spooky HQ and got a trove of new/old stickers). Oh and that Spooky cyclocross bike behind it is actually a Spooky, and was one of 12 Supertouch frames made in the 90's (I'll make a new post about that next week).

cool bike, Atom...love the writeup!

Is the race face headset complete?

What's the bike in the background, a spooky?

The Race face headset is complete and the bb even spins decently for having sat for the last 4 years. I will take proper pictures of the Spooky and the Bontrager this afternoon. (You will also see the Spooky when I pick up those posts from you today).

AtomicAtom":z2yes99w said:
The Race face headset is complete and the bb even spins decently for having sat for the last 4 years. I will take proper pictures of the Spooky and the Bontrager this afternoon. (You will also see the Spooky when I pick up those posts from you today).

oh...very nice :)

I should've taken a better look at it, but it was raining, and I was trying to beat the rush hour traffic.

I'll have to pick up a spooky one day.

Good seeing you again, Atom.

AMP Research B3 with F3 forks

I've just found a B3 and forks in my loft!
This frame has never been used since it was bought back in 1998!

Several bikes, house moves, children later and it's time to build this awesome piece of kit into a bike.

Any thoughts on components?

Any info on fitting disc brakes to this frame will be much appreciated.

Depends on what you want to do, AMP/Rock Shox discs bolt straight on to the AMP frame & forks, ISO won't with out a bit of machine shop help. There was a guy on MTBR that was doing ISO to AMP fork adaptors, might be worth a try.

ATB

John

Real Update on AMP!

I finally completed a build. I haven't ridden it yet. I put about $50 into it to make everything right. Have a look at the a few pictures followed by a current spec sheet.

3677798028_62b1819b22_b.jpg

3677798580_e8cd828013.jpg
3677799004_08058bdecd.jpg

3677799276_d2ba52912f.jpg
3676983925_93311755fa.jpg

3676984411_95961cfac5.jpg
3677800418_c69c47f845.jpg

Frame: Amp Research B-3

Fork: Marzocchi Superfly

Headset: Race Face
Stem: Tioga
Handlebar: Race Face Air-Alloy