1990 Rocky Mountain Hammer

Retro Guru
3573588671_963634602a_o.jpg

3573588451_5194df210c_o.jpg

Here's my 1990 Rocky Mountain Hammer, which I've owned since '90, and my only bicycle until last year. As it was my daily-rider for 18 years, it's in far from pristine condition, the streets of London and the hills of Wales have taken a bit of a toll. Overall though, it has held up remarkably well to the abuse it's taken; early Rocky Mountains were certainly on the sturdy side.

As parts have failed I've tended to upgrade, so it's now lighter than it's rather hefty original state. The paintwork could do with a bit of touching up, but I've no intention of getting it resprayed as a little bit of patina never hurt anybody. It's not a paint-chip, it's history.

Frame - Rocky Mountain Hammer, guaranteed made with custom designed cro-moly butted tubing set, Japan. Frame 5XX.
Headset - Yst. Still the original.
Cranks - Shimano Deore. Original on one side, replaced the other a couple of years ago. I can't remember which side is "new".
Pedals- Wellgo. Modern.
Front derailleur - Shimano Deore Dx. Original.
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore XT. I think I fitted this in the late 90s?
Shifters - Low-end Shimano 7 speed. The Deore Dx thumbies went to MTB heaven in the late 90s.
Sharkfin - Shimano Deore DX. Original.
Brakes - Shimano Deore Dx. Original.
Brake pads - Kool Stop. Yellow.
Brake levers - Shimano Lx.
Seatpost - Syncros 27.0.
Saddle - Selle Italia Flite Ti. Had this since the early '90s, the original was heavy and wide.
Stem - Syncros.
Bars - 3ttt pro-compe. My second set, the first snapped, so not sure why I got a second one. The original Rocky Mountain bars were steel, and heavy.
Grips - Oury.
Wheels - Shimano Xt/600 hubs, Ritchey Vantage Pro WCS rims. I've still got the Deore Dx with Wolber At-20 rims that it came with.
Tyres - Bontrager H2 Hardcase.

And here's a 20 second video of the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1AdKq3X96g&feature=player_embedded

mtbfix":13qrhafm said:
Nice. Classic steel styling there. Just need to sort that rear mech and the tyres out ;)

Yes, the rear derailleur is something i should sort out. When the original failed it wasn't easy to get hold of the older Xt components, but now, thanks to the internet there's no excuse.
The original tyres were Ritchey Megabites, and were frankly awful. For the road I've been running Specialized Nimbus Armadillos for the majority of the time, just fancied a change.

That's very nice indeed and maybe the only '90 Hammer on here :)

I take it the seatpost has been switched at some point too?

Neill

neilll":22xpybpa said:
That's very nice indeed and maybe the only '90 Hammer on here :)

I take it the seatpost has been switched at some point too?

Neill

Yes, the original broke, the clamp snapped off. Was replaced by a Bontrager, but I wasn't happy with it. Eventually got the Syncros a couple of years ago.

TOYO

Where these frames not made by Japanese welders TOYO :?:

Is there a sticker on it with these details?

Nice ride bud ;)

Re: TOYO

slimjoe":2r9zp7ap said:
Where these frames not made by Japanese welders TOYO :?:

Is there a sticker on it with these details?

Nice ride bud ;)

Here's the sticker with the frame details, it says Japan but doesn't mention Toyo. I know I should have given the bike a clean, at least it proves it's used regularly.

3578602138_b943790faf.jpg

I recall reading, or being told, at the time that 10% of the Rocky Mountain frames made in Japan were rejected due to the very tight tolerances that they expected of their suppliers. This could be complete rubbish though, just something to justify the high prices of Rocky Mountains. I think this was £825 new, whereas the mainstream Deore Dx bikes were £400-£500.

One of my previous bikes was one of the Muddy Fox Couriers with the out of alignment rear triangles. As a courier I used to go through a rear axle every 2-3 months, until the frame snapped. With the Rocky Mountain, components used to last much longer, one of the benefits of a straight frame.

Didn't TOYO do lugged frames around then (something remember reading)? They made some of the Ritchey frames back then, RM distributed them for Ritchey.

Did Ishiwata build up frames as well as supply tubing, they made my 1992 Fusion as far as I know. Damn good quality tripple butted tubing, welds are good so is the finish :shock:
Made from Ishiwata tubing and the frame is a long code starting with Ixxxxxxxxxxx x being some length of numbers.

Nothing wrong with Jap. frame building/tubing, Tange is from there...

5102070214_2c59480aee_b.jpg

Thought I'd update this thread, as I've recently added a few Shimano Deore XT components.

So since last year the following have been changed:

Plastic toe clips, Brooks leather straps.
Cranks - Shimano Deore XT.
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT.
Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT.
Shifters - Shimano Deore XT thumb shifters.
Brake levers - Shimano Deore XT.

Next on the list is a new headset.

Back