Yet another Kona Hei Hei (well sort off....Old Photo)

kerryn

Devout Dirtbag
Okay, I did not want to feel left out with all the Kona Hei Hei threads going on here so, even though I do not own this bike any more (much to my shame), I found an old photo of myself with the bike so I thought I'd post it here.

You will have to excuse the poor image my my old Canon Ixus APS did not take great resolution pictures.

This was circa '94 or '95 and was near Talgarth in the Black Mountains, and yes I give you permission to laugh at my cycling kit of the day....

kerry%20Hei%20Hei%2016-10.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_cXNCigis5jc/ShzCk ... 016-10.jpg

The kit on the bike was:

Kona Hei Hei 19 inch 1993

Pace MXCD forks, Mavic 217 rims on blue Hope hubs with Richie spokes, and Richie Z-Max tyres.

Royce BB, Cooks RSR cranks (beautiful pewter color), Richie Ti pedals spinning Pace rings (48T top) and SPR TI bolts.

XTR Front, XT Rear with GripShift
XTR cantis (this is pre-V brake) with blue X-Lite chicken Stix.
A Flite Saddle on a Blue Ringle Moby post.
Control Tech stem and Pace bars for steering

This bike weighed a ridiculous 22lb though some of the kit was not the strongest. I seem to remember that the Mavic 217 rims lasted only 6 months before the XTR brakes eat their way through the rim and the wheels collapsed.

Oh, back in the day..... :D

Well here's another (somewhat blurry - didn't camera suck back then?) one without my ugly mug in it... :D

Hei%20Hei%20snow.jpg

This was taken sometime around '95 to '97

And another actually in real mountains!!

This was a 4000ft road climb over 11km with an outstanding off road decent in the French Pyrenees, May 1995.

hei%20hei%20mountains%20-%20small.jpg

I was wondering why I had a white tire on the back, then I remembered. Earlier in the week I had managed to destroy my rear tire after a brake block (which I assume had been knocked somehow) chewed its way through the side wall. I had had to fine a new tire at a local bike shop and I think this was some type on Michelin though I don't remember the type of tire...

Funnily enough, I think white wheels look good on this rig...

I got rid of it because I bought this:

Boulder%201997.jpg

I needed the money from the sale of the Kona to pay for new disks, wheels and fork upgrades on this bike.

Full story is on my Boulder rebuild thread. See the post a few down...

I can't disagree with you there.

However, for a 3 inch travel full suspension frame, that Boulder is about as beautiful as they come. Still, I would love to have a Hei Hei again...

Back