97 Zaskar A year in the making. Now Complete.

mikefoster

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
New Pics at end of posts.

Had been after a Zaskar for a while after regretting selling a 95 I had a few years back. After going through the ads here, wtd ad on STW and missing a couple on e-bay I finished up the this yellow fella. The black one was picked up from STW. Decided to take advantage and get both and pick the best one. The black one has gone to a mate who gave what I paid for it so nothing lost.
Both are 97's and 18" one painted yellow the other ano black. Not sure how the black one is gonna be built but my yellow peril will soon be powder coated either black or white (not decided yet). Rigid front end with a disc and a hydro at the rear. A mixture of modern and retro bits will complete the build. It may take a few months as i'm not in a real rush to finish. Keep watching to see how they turn out.

Mike :D

Attachments

• Blk Zask 1.JPG
    Blk Zask 1.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 3,250
  • Yel Zask 1.JPG
    Yel Zask 1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 3,250
  • Pair Zasks.JPG
    Pair Zasks.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 3,250
dont do it! I bought a Yellow zaskar new in 97! She was awesome! Check out my gallery for pics! Oh how i miss her ahhh!! :LOL:

Oh if she has a mark on the top tube about the size of a £2 coin above the R in zaskar, its my old frame! Happened 3wks after having her on a cycle carrier! Gutted! To give you an idea of the build cost i've still the bill somewhere for £1600 from Supercycles in Notts. After seeing this i may have to hunt for one!!! Ahhh bloody retrobike!! :LOL:

Get on the hunt for 1. Got this off e-bay, so they are out there you just have to wait for a good one. When i got this there was another the same but a bigger frame which went of just over £100.
Yellow has never been my fave colour so it's gotta go. Your's looks good in the gallery.
Mine has a few marks but nothing on the top tube so must be another one.
Watch this space to see how it turns out.

Cheers Mike.

Update:

The frames are now back after powder coating.The yellow is now a nice radiator white and the black one has had a coat of gloss black.
Below are a couple of pics of mine before and after the decals.(Decals are orgional 96 versions bought off e-bay from the usa.)
Was gonna put a clear coat of lacquer over the top but the finish seems very hard so might not bother. Also will be able remove the decals easier if a can get the correct versions for the 97 year.
Got most of the build parts sorted. I'm going retro and modern with the build. Front disc rear magura (modern ones). The only thing I can't make my mide up about is the stem. Don't want the hope one in the pic as it's too short.
Thinking Syncros 110/120mm 0 degree in black. I will be running easton low rise bars so it may have to be a hinged version as I think it will be difficult to get them through a std syncros stem.
Will keep things updated as the build progresses.

Attachments

• My Zask With Decals.JPG
    My Zask With Decals.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 3,061
  • My Zask No Decals.JPG
    My Zask No Decals.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,061
Current status of the build. I know it's been taking a while but working on a single speed roadie at the same time. Got most of the parts sorted now. The rear wheel is a stop gap until I find a black mavic ceramic rim.(618/517) If you have a 32 hole one in good nic let me know.
Two pics, rigid with white bros (abandoned) in favour of the psylo's picked up from Gadro(Cheers Andy).
Other bits to fit XTR 950 polished chainset (need to get some rings first)
XTR V brakes
White Sram 9.0 SL levers
Sram chain & cassette (modern)
GT grips.
With a bit of luck should be finished in the next couple of weeks.
Will post final pic then.
Cheers Mike.

Attachments

• mid build sus.JPG
    mid build sus.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,873
  • mid build rigid.JPG
    mid build rigid.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,873
At long last I have finally finished my Zask. It has taken a while with a few things that have kept me from the work required. (New baby, New House etc)
It has gone through a few changes along the way including forks,brakes, cranks but I think I'm happy (almost! but the wheels don't match so would like a black rear 517/618 ceramic to lace to my hope mono hub).
It is a mix of old and new but the bike is gonna be a rider so parts that work are important to me.

Some pics below but they are a bit crappy. Only just finished tonight. Will post some better ones over the weekend.

The first ride will be Gisburn Forrest on Sunday so will update how it rides after then.

Cheers Mike.
:cool:

At last the the bike is complete. (Almost anyway just need some oil in the fork.)
It took a while but I got there in the end with quite a few changes along the way. I think I'm happy with it for the moment anyway.
I rode it the other weekend at Gisburn and it performed well despite a worn seal in the rebound adjuster causing the forks to pogo, top out and then pack down.
The bike is nimble and feels just like the 95 model I had BITD.
Recent chances include:
Rim swap on the front wheel now pace sus on F519
Rear wheel build matching F519 with hope xc ti
Bar and stem swap to Race Face to go the cranks and seatpost

Gonna give it some use over the next few months and see how it goes.

Now time for a new project which will be something modern and then my 94 Lavadome.
Watch this space. :LOL:

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,480
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,479
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 2,480
  • Picture 012.jpg