Another Hei Hei....99% finished!

Neil G

Old School Grand Master
Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my Hei Hei

This bike has quite a bit of history for me. I came into some inheritance money when I was 18 and after owning an MFX Courier Comp and a nice Rocky Summit I decided I really wanted what I felt was my ultimate bike.

Ordered the Hei Hei and built it up from scratch at a local bike shop...the Disk Drive took forever to turn up but I just had to have one after seeing McRoy, JT and Dave Hemming running these. I still have the reciept for the whole build somewhere and I think it ran to 2k plus which for that time was quite a lot of money.

I raced the bike a fair bit and it always turned heads and gathered quite a bit of attention but after getting into BMX around '95 the Hei Hei got left in the garage....I don't think it even came out for over 5 years!

Anyway, I decided to ressurect the bike. I know there is modern stuff on this but TBH I think the XTR goes well and it is going to be used and raced this summer...can't wait to rinse some folk on modern bikes!

Only thing this bike needs now is a decent wheelset so I'll be saving for some Hopes to go on there. I do have a project 2 fork as well but not sure it should go on there if I'm going to race the bike.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Hei Hei Drive side.jpg
    Hei Hei Drive side.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 5,449
  • Kona Hei Hei 1993.jpg
    Kona Hei Hei 1993.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 5,440
  • Hei Hei_front angle.jpg
    Hei Hei_front angle.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 5,440
  • Hei Hei_rear angle.jpg
    Hei Hei_rear angle.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 5,440
That looks sorted :cool: its amazing the way Ti bikes can be built with any era components and still look the goods. Ok maybe not amazing but nice :)

It has to work well if it's going to be raced and we all know that some old components may look nice but they just don't last hence fitting the contemporary lit. Sort of regret selling the Disk Drive (knew I would) but it would have restricted me to 7 speed....did go to a good home though!

Forks are definately something I'm unsure about, P2s would lighten things up but not sure my wrists/arms could take rigid anymore!

Ah, that brings back memories. I had a '93 Hei Hei and I wish I still had it.

Apart from the disk wheel, that '93 build looks much nicer than the current one in my opinion, but I agree with Kaiser in that TI bikes look good no matter what era components they are built with.

Cheers

Doesn't seem to be much love for Ti bikes these days, especially ones with no anodizing or green/gum tyres etc.

Definatlely reccomend getting hold of one, the ride is lovely....okay they are more common than a lot of bikes but IMO rare/different bikes don't always ride that well!

Can you still get Pace rings? I had Pace rings on pewter Cooks RSR cranks on my '93 Hei Hei and the color combination looked awesome on the bike. Similar to your '93, but the pewter was a better match than the silver cranks you have.

Not sure if you can still get them but I have seen them for sale on here a few times.

I think I may have the same rings at home in a box somewhere....big though, IIRC the outer was a 48!

May have to get some carbon on that bike...would love some Syncros kit to finish it off

Back