1994 Stumpjumper - single speed incarnation-updated 30/5/09

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Its been a while since the old Stumpy had been put away, but having signed up to race the SSUK 09 in June, I though I better get building. :roll:
IMG_0691.jpg

The old Stumpy hadnt been built up for a while and not being very flush with cash I decided to try and build it with as much bits and peices that I had about the place. This was incase I then rode it and didnt like singlespeed I wouldnt lose out too much. It was also a good excuse to use some of the NOS stuff that had been kept just in case.

The build went something like this:
Frame - 1994 16.5 inch blood red Stumpjumper - prestige steel -
a mans bike.......well....a miniture mans bike ;)
IMG_1198.jpg

Forks - NOS Specialized Direct Drive (thanks Kai)

Headset - NOS Dia Compe Aheadset

Cranks - I could use my S Works hollowtech type but ended up using the original LX with a 32 middleburn ring.

Pedals - XT Bear Traps

Brakes - XTR cantis with NOS Suntour XC Pro champagne levers :cool:
though I will probably be changing these for a full XT V brake setup I have.
Pads - Ritchey

Bars - NOS Specialized team bar in red (thankyou sidekick)
Stem - S Works
Grips - new specialized lock on style
End plugs - Specialized

IMG_1415.jpg

Wheels - I could have used the silver retro DX pair I have, they are very shiny and clean but decide to stick with the black theme and used my Mach 1 Deore race wheels, they are getting on but still look cool.
Tyres - after it raining a fair bit during the week and it being wet and muddy up here in the far north I decided to fit a pair of NOS storm controls. Look great but wrong move as the first ride down south near Glagow at Carron Valley it was hot, dry and very rocky.

IMG_1417.jpg

Seat - Specialized Prolong
Chain tensioner - DMR tensionseeker
Chain - BMX
The bike had its shakedown ride at the Carron Valey meet up of the Macretro Clan as it was only finished being built around an hour beforehand due to getting some last minute parts the evening before and a 500 odd mile round trip for this meet.
There is a write up on this meet elsewhere here but it does detail the loss of three of my five chainring bolts but this was my fault. As the bike was put together over the previuos fortnight I think when I recieved the chainring I losely bolted it on to make sure it fitted, then obviously forgot to do them up tight.
DSC05955.jpg

The bike ran really well and I was pleased. Pleased on many fronts to be honest. First it felt like my old Stumpy but didnt because it looked a bit different and had no gears :? It was also red and black instead of silver, sounds strange but it was but wasnt my old friend. I was pleased it stayed together as I had some issues with the brakes and the chainrings but really as a singlespeed theres not really much that can go wrong. It felt comfortable quickly as usual it fit like a glove and the prolong worked well.
I was also pleased as the singlespeed gearing worked fine and i didnt have any trouble at all with the 32/16, climbing was more like my roadie than a mountain bike. Felt good afterwards with no aches or pains so that was a suprise. Gaz thought that a 17 on the back may negate the need for a tensioner and make it a bit easier to climb with.
DSC05956.jpg

Overall very pleased.
Things to change or do?
Well I need to put my bar ends on for sure, I have a pair of Specialized ones in my kit bag but I ran out of time to fit them, shame as I think they would have been more use on a singlespeed. i must also change the tyres for summer. I have a couple of more drier trail friendly tyres about.
DSC05968.jpg

This old Stumpy has had many faces and I am sure this wont be the last and it does show how versatile these frames are when used within context.
DSC05956.jpg

DSC05959.jpg

Will add stuff as I go. If youve read this far then thank you for your interest as I think this is more for me to get this out of my head, probably why it rambles ;)

Jamie

Looks great! I like the deep red with contrasting black, perfect bars for it too!

My next project will definitely by a single speed, gotta get some strength back in the old quads first though as it's been eight years since riding properly :?. Just started again, and loving it.

parts added

Hi guys
Thanks for reading :)
The red is listed as blood red and is the sister colour to the 94 utilitarian green :shock:
I should have mentioned what I had to buy specifically for this build.
Most at the last minute!
A set of brake cables (thats why they are grey) - new
Chain - new-
seatpost - new- ( cannot for the life of my find the old one) :cry:
Front chainring, tensioner and spacers purchased from the forum here.
So not too much specifically for this singlespeed project, around £40 or so I think.
I have spent a little bit more for a used Surley tensioner from Bas but I will offset that a little by selling the DMR.
A bit of fiddling with the brakes, change the tyres, bar ends and try the 17 sprocket and its ready to go to the champs at Dalby.

Jamie

singlespeed

dullonien wrote

My next project will definitely by a single speed, gotta get some strength back in the old quads first though as it's been eight years since riding properly . Just started again, and loving it.

Just try it if you have a chance, its great, you just ride. I was suprised how my legs felt afterward, which was fine. So you may not need the quads you think. It will help you develop them thats for sure. It is also suprisingly quiet. Riding up the hills is a bit of a challenge, but not in the way I thought it would be. It is very simple with one gear, you either keep pedalling and get up or you dont. Theres no relaxing and changing down, I found it fun as I think its just as mentally challenging as physically.

Jamie

Nice to hear, sounds like fun.

I'll see if I can get the dosh together over summer, even if it's just a couple of hundred for something simple. I'm sure I've got a spare set of XT V's including levers lying around somehwere, that's a start I guess :?.

I'll have to keep a look-out for a bargain steel frame, a Kona or an Orange etc. would do nicely.

Thanks alot for the info.

Great stuff Jamie, bike rode great when i had my wee spin round CV car park :cool: , didn't know you had a 500 nile round trip to get there though :shock:

I'm another single speed convert and can recommend it, been using my single speed E3 for a while, i find most rides i dont miss having gears, only time i have is when trying to get going again in technical stuff like clumpy grass or earth, and on fast open road or fire road sections your mates will stick their geared bikes in 48 - 11 and blast off into the sunset :LOL: , when that happens though i just sit back twiddling away and enjoy the scenery and fresh air :cool:

Looks nice, simple and purposeful and not too flash/blingy

Recently converted my Kona Fire Mountain to SS for commuting and so love the simplicity of it all. Never tried it offroad though.

great report jamie- the bike is even nicer in the flesh- just a bummer that it is too small for me or you would have been riding my bike for most of CV. Red mmmmmmm..........

Good luck and all that jazz at the wedding mate- it only gets worse from now on...... ha ha only kidding ;)

Latest posts

Back