Proflex 856

Dave_H

Senior Retro Guru
Yesterday saw the arrival of Grannygrinders 856 frame and some bits, and I spent a few hours today putting it all together. I might have done it last night, but the wife put it in the shed and forgot to tell me. :? :LOL:

So here it is.

3474323748_d33bd2f27f.jpg

Built up either with bits that came from Mike with the frame or stuff in the shed. There's a mixture of aged stuff from the frame/forks of the mid-nineties, through wheels/brakes from the turn of the millenium right up to fairly modern gears.

3473509997_8399366ff7.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the build and I'm not really sure what I'd do different. It'd be far too easy to go down the XT/Girvin route or the Syncros/Control Tech look, but I couldn't really justify the spend anyway. :LOL:
I like the contrast ice blue bars and how they compliment the grey/blue of the LX gears.
I reckon it's just the wheels/tyres that I'd probably change - something pimpier and lighter. Oh and some NOS Onza RAW110 bar ends (anyone?)

3474328906_3c310f98f0.jpg

Other than that, what I've got is a lovely example of a classic frame, good age related suspension but with brakes and gears that don't look out of place, are a little different but help my ever aging bones up hill and prevent breaking them coming back down.

3473504849_0a4f36574b.jpg

All that's left to do is source a middle ring (32 or 34t CD in silver PLEASE!) and one more go at adjusting the rear Magura - quite a fiddle on an 856.

Once that's done, I've got a keeper.

Frame: Medium Proflex 856 with ODS
Fork: Judy DH with early '00s crown and internals
Headset: FSA UF
Stem: Specialized OEM
Handlebar: X-Lite
Grips: WTB
Bar Ends: Unbranded silver
Brakes: Magura HS-33 Raceline
Front Derailleur: LX 9 Speed
Rear Derailleur: LX 9 Speed
Cassette: LX 9 Speed
Chain: SRAM PC-91
Cranks: L&M
Chainrings: From the spares box - missing a middle ring
Bottom Bracket: Dunno. It was in the frame.
Pedals: Shimano PDM-636 DX
Rims: Mavic 517
Hubs: XT Front / STX-RC Rear
Tyres: Hutchinson Bulldog
Saddle: Koski
Seatpost: FSA road seatpost

that's nice - my 855 is on long term loan to a friend - need to get it back at some point as I fancy swapping things around on it and see what weight I can get it down to.

Looks great,one of my favourite frames.Got a rough one in the shed I must start on when I muster up the enthusiasm

Excellent work there!

I don't anyone could tell it did not come off the showroom floor.

The red forks blend well with the frame, and the yellow bits look nice.

I know people that kick butt on an 856. :D

yeah I agree with the others on this, nice well balanced looking bike- proflex bikes are graet riding bikes- looking good mate :cool:

Back