Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
gold6261.jpg
+
Miyata.jpg
= ?!

...........................................................................................................

...........................................................................................................

MiyataCentury2800.jpg

MiyataCentury4800.jpg

MiyataCentury5800.jpg

MiyataCentury8800.jpg

Probably some of you have seen this bike somewhere else on the web before. I am pretty sure that was mine too. Actually even I never saw a second. In case you have information, articles (I know there exist some) or whatsoever on this bike, please let me know!

It is a 1990 Miyata Century. The bike is isseued celebrating 100 years Miyata bikebuilding. Miyata originaly made slots for rivels and they were of the opinion it would be only a small step to biketubing than. This is how it all started in 1890.

My Century is said to be a gift from Miyata boss to boss of another huge bikecompany that had frames made with Miyata. That's why this bike is in Europe.

An also pretty rare feature the cool Trimble ROO bar/stem combo.

Absolutely stunning.....easy to get jaded by some of the fine retro content here but I'm genuinely impressed with that Elev.

Are the lugs really gold plated? Did you purchase as is or build up from a frameset? Garage queen or daily ride ;) ?

Excellent photography too.

rutteger":2iwrmr23 said:
Absolutely stunning.....easy to get jaded by some of the fine retro content here but I'm genuinely impressed with that Elev.

Are the lugs really gold plated? Did you purchase as is or build up from a frameset? Garage queen or daily ride ;) ?

Excellent photography too.

Thnx!

Actually to me (Koga) Miyatas like this are very fine retro stuff, but I do understand a lot people are not aware of what Miyata stands for and others left Miyata for what it is back then because of weight issues (the earlies did weight quite a lot) or not so cool, inefficient marketing.

For 'mass' builder Japanese Miyata finishing is second to none. Pretty exclusive too. One can see quirky details throughout the whole frame, like the square BB area and the bolted seatstays. The later could even be converted to ST. It is the same for other frames/forks. Moreover: H-Ball raced them :p

The '90 Century, Elev10k, KM SkyRunner are sturdy, but not really light frames. Later models like the blue TrailRunner I posted before are svelte and still durable. Great offers back then! If you were willing to pay the pricetag.

On your gold question: According to both seller as local jewelry store it is indeed gold. Of course a thin layer. The layer is protected by a clearcoat, like almost every Miyata.

It was a complete bike when I bought it. It is not a garage queen, but I do not ride it offroad.

On the frame: Alloy lugs, 3 carbon tubes with alloy inserts, alloy tubing for the rear. Components: XT everything, Switchblades, Trimble, Ritchey Vantage rims, MegaBite....

Except for what gold similar to the Century frame:

SkyRunner-90Carbon.jpg

1990 Koga Miyata SkyRunner Carbolite

1990 Koga Miyata SkyRunner Carbolite, Sportrad 3-90 (German)
src3800.jpg

src5800.jpg

Greg Herbold on his '91 Miyata Elevation 10,000:
hb1C2.jpg

much larger

This '91 frame differs in a few aspects form the '90 model: Tapered stays. Slimmer dropouts and a reworked, slimmer bracketlug with intergrated chainsuckteeth. Frame now fitting 1.125" headset and 73mm bracket, instead of 1" and 68mm. Furthermore toptube cablerouting and bolted instead of welded seatstaybridge and brakebosses. For the 10,000 this enabled the use of carbon for the stays.

H'ball

is that retro bling then?

Not very familiar with the mark other than via H'ball & the MBUK article you've scanned -but have always admired them for that alone!

that MBUK article was very far out , I'm sure H'Ball not long after bolted some Rock Shox on the back too! -on the same kinda frameset! (think this was in MBA?)

kid":ni4ympjj said:
Are they so rare, I threw my golden century frame...
21 incher..

So you had one...

..and you threw it away

You know more on the Century?
- did yours also came with the same equipment incl Trimble combo?
- you bought it in the States?
- pics?
- do you have articles, brochures or other stuff on the bike?
- why did you threw it away? broken?
- why are you of the opinion it isn't rare?

Would be great if you could tell me a bit more on the Century. Thnx in advance.

Re: H'ball

tangent":3kifbvig said:
is that retro bling then?

Not very familiar with the mark other than via H'ball & the MBUK article you've scanned -but have always admired them for that alone!

that MBUK article was very far out , I'm sure H'Ball not long after bolted some Rock Shox on the back too! -on the same kinda frameset! (think this was in MBA?)

I know it, you mean this one:

KOGAMIYA800h.jpg

MIYATABA800h.jpg

It is pictured at the 1991 Mammoth Kamikaze event.

I have more 'homemade' Miyata stuff on my site.

I do have a few other bikes of this series bonded and bolted construction.

H'ball

That's very cool.

Just what I was trying to recollect -thanks :!:
The forks I seem to recall are proto Mag 21s (internals / crown), but still making use of RS1 sliders I think.

At the time we just loved the idea that you could bolt together some amazing cutting edge frame , and keep evolving it. I think matters were helped hugely by the fact that H'ball was such a rad rider tho'. I believe Miyata kept on the books long after they stopped selling to the U.S. market as the he was so revered in their home market...

That's a cool site Elv12k ... now I also understand your choice of username too! Some of the racing shots of H'ball in action are epic, possible second only to Tomac for style?

Thanks!

On MTBR.com I once posted very much in the H-Ball pic thread. Unfortunately all the links the photo upload company (..) stopped working, so all pics gone!!!! Of course I still have all pics and again could start a similar topic overhere.

Back