1995 GT RTS-3 Project

utahdog2003

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OK, I may have an addictive personality after all! :LOL: :cool:

I've never liked full suspension bikes, and I've always resisted having a modern longer travel rig...and my experience with a Cannondale Rush left me convinced that I was spot on. For my style and local trails, I don't need 4-5 inches in the rear. I could probably make due with a Moots YBB type soft-tail actually.

I've always heard the knock on the GT RTS is that it firms up quite a bit under pedal forces, and is only reactive while cruising.

So here's my idea. I want a cross country bike to help me take the edge off...hey what can I say my back isn't getting any younger! The rub is, I don't want to spend a load of dough on what would essentially be an experiment. So, as I've got loads of parts for a build up of just about anything, I've decided to pick up an Asian made RTS frame on the cheap and build it up to see if the suspension design fits what I'm looking for. Again, this is not a USA made RTS, but rather an imported RTS-3 that I picked up on the old fleabay. (I don't have it yet, so forgive the auction pics) I was drawn to this frame because of the completeness of all the little geegaws like the brake cam and the cable noodles. The blue and silver color scheme will die a slow death... :cool:

My one question...can any of you GT gurus confirm for me that the geometry of the RTS-3 is the same as that of the USA made RTS? I'm going to build up the 3 and if it fits the bill for a firm-under-pedaling limited travel, durable full suspension bike, I may move up to an RTS...

The bike will see mostly modern parts in my envisioned build....although maybe Dura Ace/Paul thumbshifters, just to irritate Scant. :p :LOL:

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 601
  • dd9c_1.jpg
    dd9c_1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 601
Back